Tanneron, Alpes-Maritimes tourism & sightseeing
Visit Tanneron (Provence, France)
The hilltop village is small and easily explored with a few small places of interest although it is the attractions nearby that are the principal highlights of a visit.
Among these is the 19th century Church of Notre Dame de Peygros, built here in the 1840's as an enlargement of an existing medieval chapel after Tanneron was made a commune (it was previously part of Callian). The highlight of the church is the extensive views in all directions that it offers across the surrounding countryside.
Other local historic landmarks include an old stone tower which is all the remains of a 12th century fortress and a small chapel (these two landmarks are at Saint Cassien de Bois).
You will also find very basic facilities such as a bakers and a cafe, but otherwise very little in the way of tourist amenities.
There is a walk from the village that starts in Tanneron goes to the scenic waterfall called the 'cascade de la Siagne'.
One of the main reasons that people are attracted here is because Tanneron is one of eight stops on the popular scenic trail called the Route du Mimosa which covers 130 kilometres between Grasse and Bormes-les-Mimosas.
The countryside around the village is quite an extraordinary site with a large area covered by a forest of mimosas - to be seen in February when the trees are in flower.
A short distance west of the main village is the Lac de Saint Cassein, the largest lake in the area and about seven kilometres long. This is a very popular summer time destination with walks and water related activities such as boat hire, and a selection of cafes and picnic spots
Tanneron is also within the region known as the 'Pays de Fayence, with several villages grouped together that make an interesting day of exploring. Start to explore this region at Tourrettes or Seillans.
Map of Tanneron and places nearby
Visit near Tanneron with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Alpes-Maritimes
Address: , Provence, , France || GPS: latitude 43.5914, longitude 6.8761
Plan your visit to Tanneron, Alpes-Maritimes
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Grasse: secteur sauvegarde (8 km)
- Jardin de la Villa Fort de France: remarkable garden (9 km)
- Grottes de Saint-Cezaire: site of natural beauty (9 km)
- Parc du château de la Napoule: remarkable garden (9 km)
- Abbaye de Lerins (Cannes): religious monument (12 km)
- Cannes: ville fleurie 4* (12 km)
- Gourdon: most beautiful village (17 km)
- Parc zoologique de Fréjus: zoo or wildlife park (17 km)
- Seillans: most beautiful village (19 km)
- Jardin botanique de la villa Thuret: remarkable garden (20 km)
- Marineland d'Antibes: aquarium (20 km)
- Eglise de St Raphaël (Saint-Raphael): religious monument (20 km)
The French version of this page is at Tanneron (Francais)