This article is about the museum complex in Strasbourg. For the main guide to the city please see Strasbourg guide.
Note that entry to museums in Strasbourg is free the first Sunday of the month.
The Strasbourg museum complex is contained in beautiful buildings dating from the 14th and 16th centuries.
The most important of these museums is the “Musée de l'Oeuvre de Notre Dame”, opposite the Cathedral, which is divided into several sections. The ground floor has a room devoted to Roman sculptures taken from the Cathedral, paintings, furniture and stained glass. Among the glass windows, truly extraordinary are those by Peter Hemmel (1447-1501): “Adam in Paradise,” of "Emperor Charlemagne" and of “King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba” (1270).
Among the paintings in this museum those of particular importance include the “Five Senses” by Sebastian Stosskopf (1597-1657), “Hercules and Antaeus,” by Hans Baldung (1484 c.-1545), the “Doubt of St. Joseph,” “The Visitation” and “Virgin and the Child” by the French School of the fifteenth century and, finally, the “Dead Lovers” by Matthias Grunewald (1480-1528).
In the Rohan Palace you can visit the Archaeological Museum, with finds from Alsace dating from Prehistory to 800 AD. The most important are some noteworthy finds discovered in the “Cave Oberlag”, with various stone tools dating to the Neolithic; a fibula representing a dog and hare (of the old Gaul-Roman age from the third and fourth centuries BC), various stele, a helmet and a decorated phalera (a bronze sculpted disk used to adorn the harness of a horse) of the seventh century AD.
Also interesting is the Museum of Decorative Arts which has some very beautiful rooms: the “Hall of the synod”, “The Hall of bishops”, “The King's Chamber” and the Library.
The “Musée des Beaux Arts” is also very important, with paintings from the Middle Ages to the twentieth century and from across Europe.
These include many prominent Italian painters, such as the “Virgin and the Child with Two Angels” by Alessandro di Mariano di Vanni Filipepi, called Sandro Botticelli (1445-1510), “San Sebastian” by Cima da Conegliano (1460 c.-1518 c.), the “Virgin and the Child” and “The myth of Prometheus” by Pietro di Cosimo (or Pietro di Lorenzo) [1461 c.-1521] , the “Adoration of the Shepherds” by Carlo Crivelli (1435 c.-1495 c.), the “Crucifixion” attributed to Giotto (1267-1337) and a “bust of an Angel” by “Filippino” Lippi (1457-1504) .
In addition there are many collections of French and Flemish painters of the 16th and 17th century. In particular, these include: “The Five Senses,” an allegorical painting by Jacques Linard (1600-1645), the “Vanité”, a still life by Simon Renard de Saint-André (1613-1677), the “Musiciens et soldats” by Valentin de Boulogne (1591-1632), a “Portrait of Cardinal de Richelieu”, by Philippe de Champagne (1602-1674).
See also “The miraculous fishing” by Jacob Jordaens (1593-1678), a “Visitation” by Paul Rubens (1577-1640), a “Presumed Portrait of Luigia Cattaneo”, by Antoon Van Dyik (1599-1641).
In Place Hans Jean Arp the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art contains a good number of works by well known artists.
These include works by Gustave Doré (1883-1932), “Le Christ quittant la prêtoire”, “Strasbourg”; by Paul Gauguin (1848-1903), a “Still Life”, by Claude Monet (1840-1926), the “Field of oats”, by George Braque (1882-1963), a “Still Life”, by Jean Arp (1886-1966), a “Great Head”, by Wassily Kandinsky (1866-1944), the “Three Elements”, by Max Ernst (1891-1976), the “Deux jeunes filles nues”.