Saint-Vivien-de-Medoc, Gironde tourism & sightseeing
Visit Saint-Vivien-de-Medoc (Aquitaine, France)
Saint-Vivien-de-Medoc is located towards the north of the Medoc peninsula, and south-east of Soulac-sur-Mer.
A small town, we wouldn't usually have included Saint-Vivien-de-Medoc on France This Way as a tourist destination - there are no particular highlights, and you are more likely to pass through the town than to set out to visit it - but I did find the church 'intriguing'...so perhaps worth a look if you are passing.
The church (in the centre of Saint-Vivien-de-Medoc) is quite large, and dates in part from the 12th century. You can still see traces of these early origins in the attractive roman style apse. The central part of the church is much more recent (or at least, it has been substantially restored more recently), and the church has a very '1950's style' belltower, to replace the earlier one destroyed during WWII.
Like it or not, it is interesting to see a belltower in such a recent and contrasting style on a medieval church (there is another example, albeit in a different style, in the church at Marans in Poitou-Charentes). I think it would be described as a sort of brutalist concrete style but I'm probably wrong!
One other curious anomaly: the mairie next door to the church in Saint-Vivien-de-Medoc appeared to be a typical Charentaise style house but then to have a tall art-deco window down one side. I couldn't find any information to explain the history of the building, perhaps the mairie was built more recent than it looked or perhaps it was also rebuilt after the war. Let me know if you can explain it!
Undoubtedly you will be in this region to visit one of the beaches along the Atlantic coast here, with Montalivet being the closest. We recommend that you also visit the town and resort at Soulac-sur-Mer, to the north of Saint-Vivien-de-Medoc, which is a friendly resort with a popular beach and an interesting 12th century basilica.
Many visitors also come here to explore the famous vineyards and wine chateaux of the Medoc wine region.
Map of Saint-Vivien-de-Medoc and places nearby
Visit near Saint-Vivien-de-Medoc with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Gironde
Address: Saint-Vivien-de-Médoc, Lesparre-Médoc, Aquitaine, 33590, France || GPS: latitude 45.431111, longitude -1.034444
Plan your visit to Saint-Vivien-de-Medoc, Gironde
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Pointe de Grave: site of natural beauty (11 km)
- Soulac-su-Mer basilique Notre-Dame-de-la-fin-des-Terres (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (11 km)
- Talmont: most beautiful village (15 km)
- Forêt de Suzac: site of natural beauty (17 km)
- Pointe de Suzac: site of natural beauty (20 km)
- Royan: town of art and history (21 km)
- Parcs et jardins du château de Beaulon: remarkable garden (26 km)
- Zoo de la Palmyre: zoo or wildlife park (30 km)
- Mornac-sur-Seudre: most beautiful village (31 km)
- Forêt de la Lande: site of natural beauty (32 km)
- Pointe de la Coubre: site of natural beauty (33 km)
- Forêt domaniale de la Coubre: site of natural beauty (38 km)
The French version of this page is at Saint-Vivien-de-Medoc (Francais)