Port Bourgenay, Vendee visitors guide
Visit Port Bourgenay, FrancePhoto Gallery
Port Bourgenay and the popular Veillon beach are centrally placed in western Vendée between the resorts of Les Sables d'Olonne and La Tranche-sur-Mer, close to Talmont-Saint-Hilaire.
Exploring Port Bourgenay
France This Way comment: Bourgenay is quite a small resort and you are likely to prefer to stay at one of the larger resorts nearby, but it makes a pleasant excursion to come here when you are visiting.
The port here is very pleasant for a stroll, and has a small selection of bars and restaurants where you can sit and look over the harbour.
The old cannon in the port is thought to date from a ship called 'La Seine' which sank here in 1789, while of more recent construction you can see a German built blockhouse which was part of the German defences here during the Second World War.
Just north of the port along the route towards Chateau-d'Olonne is the 'Aquarium of the 7th Continent' with large aquariums representing the marine environment in each continent of the world and including a multitude of species that you might not expect to see in western France, from small sharks to small multi-coloured tropical fish.
There is a golf course on the north-west edge of Bourgenay.
Plage du Veillon
Veillon beach stands on a narrow peninsula between the sea and a natural bay a short distance south of Bourgenay.
Although at little more than one kilometre long the beach at Veillon can't claim to be one of the longest in the Vendee, and it has only limited facilities, it can claim to be one of the most attractive and is one of the most popular with visitors to the area around Talmont-Saint-Hilaire.
You will certainly want to visit Talmont-Saint-Hilaire and its castle during your visit: the Chateau de Talmont holds various events during the summer and is only a few kilometres from Bourgenay.
There are various other resorts along the Vendée coast that you can visit during your stay in the region, such as La Tranche-sur-Mer and Longeville-sur-Mer. Our favourite, a few kilometres north-west of Talmont-Saint-Hilaire, is Les Sables d'Olonne.
Map of Port Bourgenay and places nearby
Visit near Port Bourgenay with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Vendee
Plan your visit to Port Bourgenay, Vendee
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Parc zoologique des Sables-d'Olonne: zoo or wildlife park (8 km)
- Georges Clemenceau house: national monument (11 km)
- Ars-en-Re: most beautiful village (29 km)
- Saint-Martin-de-Ré citadelle (Vauban fortifications): heritage site (36 km)
- La Flotte-en-Re: most beautiful village (39 km)
- Jardins de Chaligny: remarkable garden (44 km)
- Saint-Jean-de-Monts: ville fleurie 4* (49 km)
- Jardins du phare de Chassiron: remarkable garden (51 km)
- La Rochelle: secteur sauvegarde (51 km)
- Aquarium de La Rochelle: aquarium (52 km)
- Phare de la Pointe des Corbeaux: site of natural beauty (54 km)
- Notre-Dame-de-Monts: ville fleurie 4* (55 km)
The French version of this page is at Port Bourgenay (Francais)