Pont d'Arc, Ardeche visitors guide
Visit Pont d'Arc, France
Pont d'Arc is a natural stone arch over the Ardeche River and in the Ardeche department of the Rhone-Alpes, at the western end of the Gorges de l'Ardeche and a few kilometres east of the town of Vallon-Pont d'Arc.
The Pont d'Arc is a very scenic location at the entrance to the Gorges, and also one of the few places where the river is accessible to motorists: the road that follows along the course of the gorges de l'ardeche is several hundred metres above the river, and access down to the riverside is impossible in most places.
The Pont d'Arc itself stands more than 50 metres high and 60 metres wide.
There are small river beaches either side of the arch, which are a very popular place with visitors wanting to relax and cool down in an exceptionally picturesque location - really this is one of the most beautiful places I can imagine spending some time, even if the crowds can be a bit intense.
Canoeists passing along the river to canoe down the gorges of the Ardeche will all pass under the Pont d'Arc towards the beginning of their journey.
Staying near Pont d'Arc
The 'village' of Pont d'Arc itself has developed around the arch although I use the word cautiously because the 'village' is really simply a group of tourist facilities, acting as a base for the Pont d'Arc and the gorges - there are cafes and campsites here, and canoe hire is available.
I would suggest that if you are staying here to explore for a few days you consider Vallon Pont d'Arc instead. It is only a few kilometres away and is a pleasant lively town in summer.
While the Gorges de l'Ardeche will be the main focus of a visit we also recommend you take the time to visit some of the picturesque Ardeche villages in the area, such as Labeaume, Saint-Montan and Balazuc.
Map of Pont d'Arc and places nearby
Visit near Pont d'Arc with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Ardeche
Plan your visit to Pont d'Arc, Ardeche
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Gorges de l'Ardeche: grand site of france (3 km)
- Réserve naturelle nationale des Gorges de l'Ardèche: site of natural beauty (6 km)
- Aven d'Orgnac: grand site of france (8 km)
- Grotte de Saint-Marcel: site of natural beauty (11 km)
- Aigueze: most beautiful village (14 km)
- Balazuc: most beautiful village (15 km)
- Bois de Païolive: site of natural beauty (17 km)
- Vogue: most beautiful village (19 km)
- Gorges du Gardon: grand site of france (22 km)
- La Roque-sur-Ceze: most beautiful village (22 km)
- Grotte de la Cocaliere: site of natural beauty (23 km)
- La Ferme aux crocodiles: zoo or wildlife park (23 km)
Market days in Pont d'Arc, France
Regular market(s) are held in Pont d'Arc each Thursday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Pont d'Arc (Francais)