Plevenon, Cotes-d'Armor tourism & sightseeing
Visit Plevenon (Brittany, France)Photo Gallery
Plévenon is a small village a few kilometres from the coast of northern Brittany, west of Dinard and in the Cotes-d'Armor department.
France This Way comment: you are unlikely to visit Plévenon because of its own attractions - it is really very small - but are likely to discover the village as part of a tour of the Emerald Coast of Brittany and a visit to Cap Frehel
In the centre of the village there are several rows of old stone houses, a church and a car park: it is mostly of interest to visitors because there is a cafe and a bakery here, but the houses are attractive and several of them have pretty gardens.
The main historic building in the centre is the church. This is quite a recent construction, having been built in the 19th century on the site of an earlier church (that had been here since the 12th century) that had fallen down. The church is in the neogothic style, which is very common in French 19th century churches. The only vestige from the original church is a platform next to the side door
One unusual characteristic of the church is that it faces west towards the sea rather than east, which is the usual direction for Christian churches.
The town hall in Plévenon is an attractive stone building. If you go to the front of the town hall, which is in the centre of the village, you can see a large and well maintained garden - I wasn't quite sure if public are allowed to take a look but I doubt if anyone will take the trouble to stop you!
There is little else of importance in the village although they make an effort to attract visitors to the region, for example with a picnic area and a motorhome station.
Close to Plévenon there are two ancient monuments:
- to the north of Plévenon the Doigt de Gargantua is a tall thin standing stone in the grounds of the Fort la Latte, from the neolithic period
- to the east of the village, the Allée Couverte du Tertre de l'église de Plévenon is the remains of a Bronze Age dolmen
The viewpoint at Cap Frehel is very pretty and attracts many visitors to the region and also to Plévenon, and the Fort la Latte is an impressive castle on the coast to the east of Cap Fréhel.
There are several beaches close to here: Pléhérel Plage, a few kilometres to the west, is the closest and there is also a large beach at Sables-d'Or-les-Pins.
Map of Plevenon and places nearby
Visit near Plevenon with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Cotes-d'Armor
Address: Plévenon, Pléneuf-Val-André, Dinan, Brittany, 22240, France || GPS: latitude 48.65555, longitude -2.33333
Plan your visit to Plevenon, Cotes-d'Armor
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Cap Frehel: site of natural beauty (3 km)
- Cap d'Erquy / Cap Frehel: grand site of france (10 km)
- Îlot de la Colombière: site of natural beauty (10 km)
- Le Grand-Pourier: site of natural beauty (12 km)
- Baie de Lancieux, baie de l'Arguenon, archipel de Saint-Malo et Dinard: site of natural beauty (12 km)
- Îlot du Verdelet: site of natural beauty (17 km)
- Cézembre: site of natural beauty (19 km)
- Dinard: town of art and history (20 km)
- Embouchure - Rance: site of natural beauty (22 km)
- Rance (fleuve): site of natural beauty (22 km)
- Jardins de Montmarin: remarkable garden (22 km)
- Saint-Malo: ville fleurie 4* (23 km)
The French version of this page is at Plevenon (Francais)