Montjoi, Tarn-et-Garonne: tourism & sightseeing
Visit Montjoi (Midi-Pyrenees, France)Photo Gallery
Montjoi is a really charming little village situated on the border of Tarn et Garonne and Lot-et-Garonne to the east of Agen. Although it is a very small village and doesn't take long to explore, Montjoi is a pleasure to visit and among the most picturesque of the unspoiled traditional village of the 'Pays de l'Agenais' region.
Enter the village through the stone arched doorway which enters onto the main street. Immediately you can see the medieval houses, which are a mixture of stone houses and half-timbered houses, many of which have been beautifully restored.
The houses are all about the same size but each has different features. Arched doorways and rectangular doorways, timber set in patterns and filled in sometimes with small terracotta bricks and sometimes with crepi, wooden shutters and blue shutters. The overall effect is really very attractive, and further enhanced by the baskets of flowers and the cobbled streets.
If you go around to the other side of the church of Saint-Martin in the village centre you can still see part of the original ramparts in Montjoi.
Note: the day I visited there was a sculpture exhibition going on and the village was filled with large fat black ladies - see photo gallery! Apparently this is a regular event and visitors in July-August are likely to be treated to a 'street art' exhibition as part of an annual 'Contemporary Art Festival'.
Attractions in the region
The quiet countryside around Montjoi and near the border between Tarn-et-Garonne and Lot-et-Garonne has many small attractive villages to explore. Auvillar and Lauzerte attract the most attention because they are both listed among the 'most beautiful villages of France', but allow the time to visit some of the others as well such as Saint-Maurin, a pretty village with substantial remains of a benedictine abbey just a few kilometres from Montjoi.
Map of Montjoi and places nearby
Visit near Montjoi with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Tarn-et-Garonne
Address: Montjoi, Valence, Castelsarrasin, Midi-Pyrenees, 82400, France || GPS: latitude 44.1975, longitude 0.920833
Plan your visit to Montjoi, Tarn-et-Garonne
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Abbaye de Saint Maurin (Saint-Maurin): religious monument (3 km)
- Eglise de Notre-Dame (Lacour): religious monument (11 km)
- Auvillar: most beautiful village (14 km)
- Eglise Notre Dame (Frespech): religious monument (15 km)
- Moissac abbatiale St Pierre (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (17 km)
- Lauzerte: most beautiful village (19 km)
- Jardin du Pèlerin: remarkable garden (19 km)
- Eglise de Saint Martin (Layrac): religious monument (22 km)
- Grottes de Fontirou: site of natural beauty (23 km)
- Agen cathédrale St Caprais (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (24 km)
- Prieuré de Sainte Marie (Moirax): religious monument (26 km)
- Pujols: most beautiful village (28 km)
The French version of this page is at Montjoi (Francais)