Montferrand-du-Perigord, Dordogne: tourism & sightseeing
Visit Montferrand-du-Perigord (Aquitaine, France)Photo Gallery
Montferrand is on the route that passes between Belves and Beaumont in the southern Dordogne, in part along the scenic Couze valley, where wooded hills and pastoral valleys conceal small villages, unchanged over the centuries.
France This Way comment: Montferrand-du-Perigord is the most important of the villages of the Couze Valley, and while small and quick to explore it is a charming village in which almost every house has a great deal of character and period features to enjoy.
You are unlikely to get lost as you explore Montferrand: there is one street that pases through the village and apart from minor detours you will see all the places of interest from this road!
* The first time I visited Montferrand-du-Perigord was on bike. I didn't notice the sign warning that the hill was 15% (1:6) and had to cycle up through the village in a difficult gear. This took all my concentration and it was only on a later visit that I noticed how lovely the village was...
In the centre of the village you can see the 16th century market hall, with a traditional carpentry roof supported by stone columns. Next to the hall is a 19th century church, which in turn is in front of a renaissance style manor house. At the highest point in the village you can see parts of a 12th century chateau.
Apart from these monuments simply wander along the street that runs steeply down towards the Couze river, admiring the houses and their numerous architectural highlights. Towards the bottom of the hill you will see a forge with several imposing artistic creations in the courtyard in front of the forge.
Be sure to also venture a few hundred metres south of Montferrand-du-Perigord to see the small 12th century church standing on the hilltop outside the village. The Church of Saint-Christophe dates contains numerous frescoes from the 13th and 14th centuries.
To do near Montferrand-du-Perigord
There are many local highlights to enjoy in this largely unexplored region including picturesque villages such as Molieres and Monpazier and important monuments such as the abbeys at Cadouin and Saint-Avit-Senieur.
The quiet roads and scenery also make this ideal walking and cycling territory, with numerous possibilities to enjoy the surrounding countryside.
Map of Montferrand-du-Perigord and places nearby
Visit near Montferrand-du-Perigord with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Dordogne
Address: Montferrand-du-Périgord, Beaumont-du-Périgord, Bergerac, Aquitaine, 24440, France || GPS: latitude 44.751667, longitude 0.866944
Plan your visit to Montferrand-du-Perigord, Dordogne
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Eglise Sainte-Croix (Beaumont-du-Perigord): religious monument (3 km)
- Saint-Avit Eglise (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (5 km)
- Le-Buisson-de-Cadouin eglise abbatiale (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (7 km)
- Monpazier: secteur sauvegarde (8 km)
- Jardins de la Bourlie: remarkable garden (9 km)
- Jardin de Planbuisson: remarkable garden (11 km)
- Eglise Notre Dame de l'Assomption (Belves): religious monument (11 km)
- Belves: most beautiful village (11 km)
- Eglise de Saint-Hilaire et Eglise de Saint-Nicholas (Tremolat): religious monument (14 km)
- Limeuil: most beautiful village (15 km)
- Jardin de Conty: remarkable garden (16 km)
- Eglise de saint-Pierre (Audrix): religious monument (16 km)
The French version of this page is at Montferrand-du-Perigord (Francais)