Meymac, Correze tourism & sightseeing
Visit Meymac (Limousin, France)Photo Gallery
Meymac is located in the quiet countryside of the region to the north-east of Tulle, in the Correze department of Limousin. It is an attractive town and well worth exploring when you are in the region (or perhaps as a detour if you on the motorway heading for the Dordogne).
It is the openness of the town centre that gives Meymac much of its appeal. The central square is surrounded by streets lined with houses in the traditional architecture of the region, with solid light-granite walls and steep slate rooves. The 11th century Abbey of Saint-André is at the heart of the town, along with some restored buildings that once formed part of the abbey complex that stand to either side.
There are various architectural highlights to discover as you explore the historic centre of Meymac, including:
- the abbatiale - which has a noteworthy entrance and belltower;
- a half-timbered house on the Rue Saint-Pierre;
- the town hall;
- the stone-pillared hall, dating from the 15th century;
- the church of Saint-Leger;
- a 13th century belfry;
- several grand houses such as the the 'Hotel of the Ventadour Dukes', the 'Hotel-Dieu' (a 17th century hospital), and the Chateau des Moines Larose
Meymac Museum provides a useful insight into the history of the region, and the way of life for those that have lived here in centuries gone by.
France This Way comment: I have to admit we had never heard of Meymac until we visited the town while we were exploring the region but were very glad we discovered it. It is interesting to explore, there are many attractive buildings and the pleasure of occasionally discovering a fountain or clocktower etc only adds to the enjoyment
Contemporary Art in Meymac
The Abbey of Saint-André in the town centre is now a contemporary art centre (unfortunately I visited the town on a Monday - the day the centre is closed - but it looked as if it would be interesting.
The town has clearly given thought to art elsewhere, for example near the car park further down from the old centre there is a raised area with several modern art statues and art works.
Be sure to explore the landscapes and countryside around Meymac in the Correze countryside - there are some very good, far-reaching views across the Limousin countryside from the higher points near the town.
One way to do this is to follow one of the marked routes that pass through the surrounding villages and viewpoints including Saint-Angel, Alleyrat, St-Sulpice-les-Bois, Ambrugeat, Davignac and others - ask at Meymac Tourist Office for information about the 'Route des Villages et des Legendes'.
Map of Meymac and places nearby
Visit near Meymac with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Correze
Tourist classifications for Meymac
Meymac is classified as a recommended detour town (plus beau detour)
Address: Meymac, Ussel, Limousin, 19250, France || GPS: latitude 45.5333, longitude 2.16667
Plan your visit to Meymac, Correze
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Jardin de la Ganille: remarkable garden (11 km)
- Millevaches en Limousin: regional natural parc (18 km)
- Parc-arboretum de Neuvic d'Ussel: remarkable garden (19 km)
- Treignac: most beautiful village (29 km)
- Cascades de Gimel: site of natural beauty (36 km)
- Lac de Vassivière: site of natural beauty (40 km)
- Salins: town of art and history (42 km)
- Verger de Déduit: remarkable garden (42 km)
- Aubusson: recommended detour (47 km)
- Riom-es-Montagnes: recommended detour (48 km)
- Banne d'Ordanche: site of natural beauty (48 km)
- Uzerche: village d'etape (49 km)
Market days in Meymac, France
A seasonal market is held in Meymac on Friday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Meymac (Francais)