Maurs, Cantal tourism & sightseeing
Visit Maurs (Auvergne, France)Photo Gallery
The Auvergne town of Maurs (full name Maurs-la-Jolie) is situated to the south-west of the Cantal department, and north-east of Figeac (in the Lot department). The town is listed as one of four 'small towns of character' in the Cantal department.
It is straightforward to explore Maurs - the town centre has preserved the same layout as was established in the Middle Ages, with streets running in circles around the central church, as far as the 'ring-road' around Maurs, which is where the town defences and moat once stood - and which also preserves the original circular shape.
This outer ring is now a broad boulevard where you will find most of the cafes and shops in Maurs town centre.
The village does not take long to visit: in the old town you can see some medieval half-timbered houses, and also a part of the original town ramparts and the abbey church, but these are all quite minor highlights and will not detain you for very long.
The weekly market is held in Maurs on a Thursday morning.
Abbatiale Church of Saint-Cesaire
It is the Abbatiale Church of Saint-Cesaire (also known as the Church of Saint Sulpice*) that is much the most important monument in Maurs. The gothic style church was built in the 14th century church to replace an 11th century church that was destroyed during the Hundred Years War (and also restored in the 17th century after suffering damage during the Wars of Religion).
Admire the stone carving and statues around and above the doorway, then enter the church to see the remarkable stalls and wooden statues from the 16th century and the 19th century stained glass windows.
The highlight inside the church is a very rare gold-plated and painted bust of Saint Cesaire. A remarkable piece of religious art, in roman style and dating from the 12th century, the bust combines a certain primitive quality with other elements that are more sophisticated.
* The original village Church of Saint-Sulpice in Maurs was destroyed after the revolution, and the abbey church of Saint-Cesaire subsequently took over the role - hence the two names for the church.
Map of Maurs and places nearby
Visit near Maurs with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Cantal
Address: Maurs, Aurillac, Auvergne, 15600, France || GPS: latitude 44.7114, longitude 2.1989
Plan your visit to Maurs, Cantal
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Figeac Hopital St Jacques (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (18 km)
- Figeac: recommended detour (18 km)
- Conques pont sur le Dourdou (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (20 km)
- Conques: most beautiful village (20 km)
- Conques abbatiale Sainte-Foy (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (20 km)
- Assier Chateau: national monument (26 km)
- Chateau Montal: national monument (32 km)
- Gréalou dolmen de Pech-Laglaire (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (33 km)
- Autoire: most beautiful village (34 km)
- Gouffre des Vitarelles: site of natural beauty (36 km)
- Loubressac: most beautiful village (36 km)
- Castelnau-Bretenoux Chateau: national monument (36 km)
Market days in Maurs, France
Regular market(s) are held in Maurs each Thursday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Maurs (Francais)