Luz-Saint-Sauveur, Hautes-Pyrenees: tourism & sightseeing
Hotels & Airbnb
Visit Luz-Saint-Sauveur (Midi-Pyrenees, France)Photo Gallery
The small town of Luz-Saint-Sauveur is situated in the heart of the Pyrenees to the south of Lourdes. As well as having several points of interest in the town itself it is also very well situated for various activities in the surrounding mountains.
France This Way comment: many visitors to the Pyrenees will pass through Luz-Saint-Sauveur on their way somewhere else. Although the town is not a major attraction it does merit to be explored when you are here, or can act as a base for your sporting activities nearby!
The town is quite small but has all the facilities you need including cafes, small supermarkets and several hotels. Luz-Saint-Sauveur falls into two separate parts, with the main town centre being the northern part and the quieter section of the town, that developed around the thermal baths that have been here since the 16th century, towards the south.
In the southern part of the town you should also pause on the Pont Napoleon where it crosses the stream called the 'gave de gavarnie' to see the deep canyon carved by the river and in the northern part of Luz-Saint-Sauveur you can see the principal historic monument in the town, the Church of the Templars.
Very unusual, this 12th century church is completely surrounded by high fortified walls - it was in this small area that the inhabitants would seek refuge when necessary, usually from bands of Spanish bandits. At the church you can see the original roman style entrance, some interesting paintings, and the church treasury can be visited (summer afternoons only).
The streets around the church also contain various buildings of interest, and are most active on market day (Monday).
While you are here you can also visit the Maison du Parc, the information centre for the Pyrenees National Park, in this part of Luz-Saint-Sauveur for more information about activities in the Pyrenees as well as exhibitions by local artists.
On the hill above Luz-Saint-Sauveur you can see the ruins of a 10th century castle.
Activities around Luz-Saint-Sauveur
Of course there are numerous opportunities for outdoor activities in the region around the town, with hikes of every level of difficulty readily available. Popular sports close to Luz-Saint-Sauveur include horseriding, hiking and cycling and you will also find accrobranche (tree-top adventure park), via ferrata (assisted rock-climbing paths) and rafting centres close by with bungee jumping and paragliding for the adventurous.
Slightly further afield, excursions popular with visitors include:
- a visit to the cirque of Gavarnie, a magnificent natural spectacle to the south of Luz-Saint-Sauveur
- skiing at the resort of Luz-Ardiden
- following the route of the Col du Tourmalet mountain pass to the east of the town, either by bike or by car - this has been one of the most popular routes through the Pyrenees on the Tour de France since 1910
- visit the Pic du Midi, an observatory reached by cablecar on a high mountain top that is reputed to have the best views in the Pyrenees
Map of Luz-Saint-Sauveur and places nearby
Visit near Luz-Saint-Sauveur with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Hautes-Pyrenees
Address: Luz-Saint-Sauveur, Argelès-Gazost, Midi-Pyrenees, 65120, France || GPS: latitude 42.8725, longitude -0.000556
Plan your visit to Luz-Saint-Sauveur, Hautes-Pyrenees
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Pont d'Espagne: site of natural beauty (12 km)
- Col du Tourmalet: site of natural beauty (13 km)
- Cirque du Lys: site of natural beauty (13 km)
- Gavarnie église St Jean Baptiste (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (16 km)
- Cirque du Marcadau: site of natural beauty (17 km)
- Cirque d'Estaubés: site of natural beauty (18 km)
- Cirque de Troumouse: site of natural beauty (18 km)
- Aragnouet chapelle des templiers (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (19 km)
- Cirque de Gavarnie: grand site of france (20 km)
- Ourdis-Cotdoussan église St Jacques (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (20 km)
- Cascade de Gavarnie: site of natural beauty (20 km)
- Brèche de Roland: site of natural beauty (20 km)
Market days in Luz-Saint-Sauveur, France
Regular market(s) are held in Luz-Saint-Sauveur each Monday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Luz-Saint-Sauveur (Francais)