La Reole, Gironde tourism & sightseeing
Visit La Reole (Aquitaine, France)Photo Gallery
The town of La Réole is found in Gironde (south-west France), on the banks of the Garonne River between Marmande and Saint-Macaire.
Exploring La Réole
Broadly the town falls into two distinct parts with a historic centre of narrow, often cobbled and sometimes hilly, streets lined with shops and interesting buildings and medieval colombage houses, that lead to the original 12th century town hall; and the more substantial buildings along the Garonne River to the west of La Reole.
The well signposted walking tour of the town is an excellent way to discover the highlights - follow the signs marked 'Circuit Pedestre'.
France This Way comment: I have to admit that despite living in this region of France I had never even heard of La Reole, and only discovered it by chance as I was passing - and was very glad I did. There is a great deal to discover and enjoy in the substantial town and a visit is recommended.
Among the highlights that you will see in La Réole are:
- The 12th century Town Hall was built for Richard the Lionheart and is the oldest town hall in France, although it is no longer used as La Réole town hall
- Medieval and half-timbered houses in the old town streets around the historic town hall
- The Church of Saint Pierre with the Benedictine abbey and priory as well as the current town hall are among the buildings to the west of the old town. The walking circuit of the town takes you through the heart of these buildings to see the courtyard, corridors and great staircase inside as well as having lovely views across the Garonne river.
- The remaining parts of the 12th century castle in La Reole. The chateau des Quat'sos on the Garonne River still has three of its original towers standing and the garden below the castle has recently been re-developed after centuries of neglect
- Remains of parts of the original ramparts and the ancient public wash-house, called the Lavoir de la Marmory
Attractions near La Réole
There are perhaps not a large number of other towns and villages of great interest close to La Réole - which is probably why most visitors to the region have never heard of the town - although both Duras and Sauveterre-de-Guyenne are within easy reach and pleasant to explore, and Saint-Macaire to the east also deserves a visit.
Map of La Reole and places nearby
Visit near La Reole with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Gironde
Address: Réole, Langon, Aquitaine, 33190, France || GPS: latitude 44.592423, longitude -0.040169
Plan your visit to La Reole, Gironde
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Jardins de Beauchamp: remarkable garden (18 km)
- Jardin du cloître Notre-Dame: remarkable garden (18 km)
- Jardins du château de Malle: remarkable garden (21 km)
- Bazas cathédrale St Jean Baptist (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (22 km)
- Cadillac Chateau: national monument (23 km)
- Sauve-Majeure Abbey: national monument (29 km)
- La Sauve Majeure abbaye (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (29 km)
- La Sauve église St Pierre (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (29 km)
- Montcaret Archaeological site: national monument (31 km)
- Jardins du Sardy: remarkable garden (32 km)
- Jardins du château de Mongenan: remarkable garden (33 km)
- Collégiale et chapelle de la Trinité (Saint-Emilion): religious monument (35 km)
The French version of this page is at La Reole (Francais)