La Ferte-Milon, Aisne tourism & sightseeing
Visit La Ferte-Milon (Picardy, France)
La Ferté-Milon is a small town in the south-west Aisne department (Picardy), south-west of Soissons and north-west of Chateau-Thierry, on the Canal de l'Ourcq.
Exploring La Ferte-Milon
France Ths Way comment: there is not a great deal to see in La Ferte-Milon, but if you are passing you might like to pause for a stroll around the chateau ruins.
A quiet town, La Ferte-Milon is dominated by its castle. A stroll around the town itself will reveal some other points of interest such as the 12th-17th century Church of Notre Dame, the clocktower being of an unusual design including a small round tower in each corner.
There is also an ironwork bridge by Gustave Eiffel across the canal to a park where you can stroll alongside the canal and a historic mill wheel.
You will find various references to Jean Racine in the town including a couple of statues and a small museum. Jean Racine was a very highly regarded 17th century dramatist who was born and spent the early part of his life here.
Another museum in La Ferté-Milon (and of more interest to a casual visitor) is dedicated to historic agricultural machinery and has a very large collection of tractors and farm tools: really very interesting!
La Ferté-Milon Castle
The building of the castle started in 1392 but was never completed because when the owner, Louis d'Orleans, was mudered in 1407 the building work came to an abrupt halt. The existing building except for the facade was then destroyed during the Wars of Religion.
We can only wonder what it might have been like if complete - Louis d'Orleans is said to have planned the grandest castle in the whole of France - but the facade of La Ferte-Milon castle manages to convey something of the large scale of the castle and to hint at what might have been. The statue above the doorway represents the Coronation of the Virgin. There are also two cannons in the grounds of the castle.
Pierrefonds castle, about 20 kilomtres north-west of La Ferte-Milon, is a very unusual castle being largely a 19th century reconstruction of an idealised fortified medieval castle.
You can also visit the town of Soissons quite close to here.
Map of La Ferte-Milon and places nearby
Visit near La Ferte-Milon with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Aisne
Address: Ferté-Milon, Neuilly-Saint-Front, Château-Thierry, Picardy, 2460, France || GPS: latitude 49.178333, longitude 3.123889
Plan your visit to La Ferte-Milon, Aisne
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Foret de Retz: site of natural beauty (9 km)
- Jardin du château de la Muette: remarkable garden (11 km)
- Jardin du donjon de Vez: remarkable garden (13 km)
- Eglise abbatiale de Notre Dame (Morienval): religious monument (20 km)
- Eglise de Saint Sulpice (Bethancourt-en-Valois): religious monument (21 km)
- Pierrefonds Chateau: national monument (21 km)
- Eglise de Berzy-le-Sec (Berzy-le-sec): religious monument (22 km)
- Eglise de Saint Martin (Gilocourt): religious monument (23 km)
- Soissons: town of art and history (27 km)
- Meaux: town of art and history (30 km)
- Réserve naturelle du Coteau de Chartèves: site of natural beauty (30 km)
- Forêt de Compiègne: site of natural beauty (30 km)
The French version of this page is at La Ferte-Milon (Francais)