La Bouille, Seine-Maritime: tourism & sightseeing
Visit La Bouille (Normandy, France)
La Bouille is situated on the Seine River 20 kilometres south-west of Rouen, in the Seine-Maritime department of Normandy. The village is in a pretty setting backed by tree covered hills.
There are a few highlights to discover in La Bouille, mostly vestiges from the town's medieval past.
Exploring La Bouille
Start your visit in Rue du Docteur Magalon, a quiet historic street in the heart of historic La Bouille, where you can see the attractive half-timbered house where King Louis XVI held a meeting with the English ambassador in 1467 for the best example (the house itself was at least 100 years old when the meeting took place).
Another impressive example of 15th century woodwork can be seen in the wooden statue of Saint Michel adorning a building in Place Saint Michel.
The Church of Sainte Madeleine, in part dating from the 15th century, dominates the town's skyline - step inside to admire the stained glass windows. The Salt Cellar on Rue du Colonel Périn, now an unimposing ancient building, was once at the heart of the unpopular 'salt taxes' imposed in the region.
There are also several impressive 18th century townhouses to discover in La Bouille before you stroll along the river front around Quai Hector Malot, and perhaps stop in a cafe for a coffee break.
La Bouille is also one of the crossing points for the Seine River - there is no bridge here but a boat called a 'bac' carries cars and passengers back and forth to Sahurs, on the northern side of the river.
Apart from walks along the river and in the surrounding countryside you can visit a couple of the villages near La Bouille. Among the most interesting are La Maison-Brulée, with two 19th century chateaux, and Moulineaux, named for the water mills that can be seen along the riverside, and see also a curious memorial in the form of part of a ruined castle tower to those who died in the Prussian invasion of 1870 and called the 'monument du Qui-vive'.
Map of La Bouille and places nearby
Visit near La Bouille with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Seine-Maritime
Address: Bouille, Grand-Couronne, Rouen, Normandy, 76530, France || GPS: latitude 49.351944, longitude 0.9325
Plan your visit to La Bouille, Seine-Maritime
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Parc du manoir de Villers: remarkable garden (5 km)
- Elbeuf: town of art and history (9 km)
- Abbaye Saint Georges de Boscherville (Saint-Martin-de-Boscherville): religious monument (10 km)
- Abbaye Saint-Georges: remarkable garden (11 km)
- Abbaye de Jumièges (Jumieges): religious monument (12 km)
- Rouen: town of art and history (16 km)
- Abbey of Bec-Hellouin: national monument (21 km)
- Jardins du château du Champ de Bataille: remarkable garden (21 km)
- Arboretum d'Harcourt: remarkable garden (22 km)
- Montville: ville fleurie 4* (24 km)
- Jardin Plume: remarkable garden (29 km)
- Jardins du château de Vandrimare: remarkable garden (30 km)
The French version of this page is at La Bouille (Francais)