Hourtin, Gironde tourism & sightseeing
Visit Hourtin (Aquitaine, France)
Hourtin is a resort, and also a nearby small town, about half way up the western coast of the Medoc peninsula.
Hourtin plage and town
Hourtin is one of the smaller and quieter resorts on this long section of Atlantic coast (Lacanau Ocean 25 kilometres to the south is the largest).
Hourtin Plage is the ocean-facing part of the town, with a large attractive and well maintained Atlantic beach and facilities for tourists and visitors. Many of these facilities are seasonal and if you visit in winter you will likely find yourself alone in a very quiet town! You can also see two 19th century lighthouses on the coast here.
The town of Hourtin itself, about 12 kilometres from Hourtin Plage, is a quiet town centred around a large open area with a grassy area, church and some basic facilities. It is pleasant enough but not really a highlight for tourists.
You can travel between Hourtin Plage and Hourtin town on a purpose built cycle route through the forest, and there are various other cycle paths through the forest which are popular with visitors.
Hourtin Port is on the Lac d'Hourtin et de Carcans. This is the largest lake in France, and is easily accessed from the town of Hourtin which is just a short distance east of the lake.
As well as port and boating facilities there is also a nice sandy lake beach. In contrast to the Atlantic beach at Hourtin Plage where the waves can be rather imposing (unless you are a surfer) the lake beach is a calm environment, especially suitable for smaller children to enjoy themselves.
The beach is also backed by attractive low dunes and a forested area. We liked it!
Attractions near Hourtin
The coast here is very long so visiting other resorts such as Carcans Plage to the south or Montalivet to the north can take a bit longer than you expect, and they are really pretty similar to Hourtin anyway! We do recommend you make a trip to the lively resort at Lacanau during your visit.
See more of the popular Atlantic coast resorts and beaches
Map of Hourtin and places nearby
Visit near Hourtin with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Gironde
Address: Hourtin, Saint-Laurent-Médoc, Lesparre-Médoc, Aquitaine, 33990, France || GPS: latitude 45.187222, longitude -1.056389
Plan your visit to Hourtin, Gironde
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Parc du château Lanessan: remarkable garden (27 km)
- Fort Médoc (Vauban fortifications): heritage site (29 km)
- Cussac Fort Paté (Vauban fortifications): heritage site (31 km)
- Blaye citadelle (Vauban fortifications): heritage site (31 km)
- Soulac-su-Mer basilique Notre-Dame-de-la-fin-des-Terres (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (37 km)
- Pointe de Grave: site of natural beauty (38 km)
- Parcs et jardins du château de Beaulon: remarkable garden (39 km)
- Bec d'Ambès: site of natural beauty (39 km)
- Talmont: most beautiful village (40 km)
- Forêt de Suzac: site of natural beauty (44 km)
- Forêt de la Lande: site of natural beauty (45 km)
- Cave Pair-non-Pair: national monument (47 km)
Market days in Hourtin, France
A seasonal market is held in Hourtin on Saturday & Tuesday & Thursday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Hourtin (Francais)