Fayence, Var: tourism & sightseeing
Visit Fayence (Provence, France)Photo Gallery
Larger than most of the villages in the region, Fayence is a very attractive town and a pleasure to explore as well as being a good base for exploring the region, and has a wide selection of cafes and restaurants etc.
There are numerous small highlights to discover as you wander through the village streets including a traditional stone-built lavoir (Place Gabriel Peri, towards the bottom of the old town), an ancient communal bread oven (dating from the 16th century, follow the signs for the 'Four du Mitan'), ornate carvings in the stone lintels above the doorways and numerous traditional provencal fountains.
You will also see the Church of Saint Jean Baptiste (18th century); a 14th century entrance through the original ramparts (the Saracen Gate); and the Chapel Notre Dame des Cypres, the oldest christian church in the area and the heart of the original medieval village of Fayence.
At the top of the hill in Fayence, just passed the remaining fragments of the castle that once stood here, is the clocktower, surrounded by a viewing platform that has very far-reaching and impressive views, in almost all directions.
The Pays de Fayence region has several traditional Provencal villages in close proximity to Fayence. The village of Tourrettes is very close, and Seillans (a classified most beautiful village of France) and Callian are also nearby. Among the many other pretty villages in the region, Mons is just a short distance north of Fayence and particularly recommended.
Map of Fayence and places nearby
Visit near Fayence with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Var
Address: Fayence, Draguignan, Provence, 83440, France || GPS: latitude 43.624167, longitude 6.694722
Plan your visit to Fayence, Var
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Seillans: most beautiful village (4 km)
- Grottes de Saint-Cezaire: site of natural beauty (10 km)
- Parc zoologique de Fréjus: zoo or wildlife park (17 km)
- Jardin de la Villa Fort de France: remarkable garden (18 km)
- Grasse: secteur sauvegarde (19 km)
- Cathédrale Saint Léonce (Frejus): religious monument (22 km)
- Frejus Cathedral cloisters: national monument (22 km)
- Frejus: town of art and history (22 km)
- Parc du château de la Napoule: remarkable garden (23 km)
- Eglise de St Raphaël (Saint-Raphael): religious monument (23 km)
- Gourdon: most beautiful village (25 km)
- Abbaye de Lerins (Cannes): religious monument (27 km)
Market days in Fayence, France
Regular market(s) are held in Fayence each Tuesday & Thursday & Saturday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Fayence (Francais)