Eauze, Gers tourism & sightseeing
Visit Eauze (Aquitaine, France)Photo Gallery
From the 4th - 7th centuries, this site was occupied by the town of Elusa, capital of the roman region of Novempopulanie.
France This Way comment: although this area isn't a major destination with tourists, Eauze has an attractive historic centre and we recommend you make a detour to visit if you are in the region.
Almost everything of interest in Eauze is on and around the main square, where you can also visit the tourist office for a leaflet that explains the highlights in the village.
Around the square there are some very lovely medieval houses in colombage - Eauze tourist office is in one of the most impressive of these, a building that was a cloth shop in the 15th century - as well as cafes and the church (originally a cathedral). On one edge of the square is the Maison Jeanne d'Albret, home in the 16th century to the important lords of Albret.
The Church of Saint-Luperc was originally built here at the end of the 15th century but was destroyed during the Wars of Religion so the church we see today dates from the 18th century.
Make sure you go inside the church: it is one of the lightest most welcoming churches I remember visiting. The stonework has all been renovated, which is very attractive even if not very authentic to the original building, and there is a nice painting dominating the altar end of the church.
In an adjacent building you can also see the cloisters, although these are now part of a school so can only be accessed during school holidays.
North of the cathedral you can still see a small part of the ramparts that once protected Eauze (these were mostly destroyed in 1624 under orders from Richelieu) as well as the Maison des Consuls in Rue Bistouquet, another impressive medieval colombage house.
It is true that Eauze is in quite a remote location so most places to visit involve a bit of a journey. To the east you can visit Condom to see the cathedral and historic centre, while to the north-west you will want to visit the bastide town of Labastide d'Armagnac.
Map of Eauze and places nearby
Visit near Eauze with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Gers
Address: Eauze, Condom, Aquitaine, 32800, France || GPS: latitude 43.86233, longitude 0.101967
Plan your visit to Eauze, Gers
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Montreal-du-Gers: most beautiful village (12 km)
- Palmeraie du Sarthou: remarkable garden (17 km)
- Fources: most beautiful village (18 km)
- Beaumont sur l'Osee pont d'Artigues (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (18 km)
- Larressingle: most beautiful village (19 km)
- Blaziert: ville fleurie 4* (31 km)
- La Romieu Collegiale St Pierre (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (34 km)
- Jardin et arboretum de Coursiana: remarkable garden (34 km)
- Ordan-Larroque: ville fleurie 4* (35 km)
- Aire sur l'Adour église St Quitterie (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (35 km)
- Nerac: secteur sauvegarde (36 km)
- Lectoure: recommended detour (42 km)
Market days in Eauze, France
Regular market(s) are held in Eauze each Thursday all day. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Eauze (Francais)