Chateau de Puyguilhem, Dordogne visitors guide
Visit Chateau de Puyguilhem, FrancePhoto Gallery
Chateau de Puyguilhem is near Villars in the northern part of the Dordogne department (north-east of Brantome and west of Saint-Jean-de-Cole). The castle is in a lovely setting, with a sweeping open valley of meadows in front of the castle and the oak forests typical of the perigord region to the rear.
Chateau de Puyguilhem - a mix of architectural styles
Built in the 16th century on the site of an earlier castle Puyguilhem is a fine Renaissance castle, and in this respect is more typical in style of the castles in the Loire Valley than the Dordogne region - except perhaps for the lack of symmetry in the design, which owes more to the earlier gothic style of architecture.
The round tower that dominates the left side of the front of Puyguilhem is influenced by earlier medieval defensive castles.
Visiting Chateau de Puyguilhem
After a long period of neglect, by the beginning of the 20th century the castle was falling into severe disrepair. Large scale restoration began after the Second World War, and the chateau is now once again brought to life, helped by the tapestries and furnishings of the period that have now been reinstated at Puyguilhem
The setting is lovely and the views around the castle are very picturesque. Sadly the lake that was once in the valley below the Chateau de Puyguilhem is there no more - but the views down the valley from the chateau remain very attractive all the same.
It is also the decorative renaissance elements that are highlights of a visit, including the spiral staircase, steep roofs, ornate fireplaces and the intricate detail to the chimneys and window surrounds. Particular highlights include the fine carpentry work to some of the ceilings in the castle and a monumental fireplace.
Map of Chateau de Puyguilhem and places nearby
Visit near Chateau de Puyguilhem with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Dordogne
Plan your visit to Chateau de Puyguilhem, Dordogne
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Abbaye Cistercienne de Boschaud (Villars): religious monument
- Saint-Jean-de-Cole: most beautiful village (7 km)
- Abbaye Saint Pierre (Brantome): religious monument (10 km)
- Nontron: recommended detour (13 km)
- Eglise Notre Dame de l'Assomption (Thiviers): religious monument (14 km)
- Perigord-Limousin: regional natural parc (21 km)
- Ancien Prieuré de Merlande (La Chapelle-Gonaguet): religious monument (25 km)
- Abbaye Notre Dame (Chancelade): religious monument (25 km)
- Perigueux: town of art and history (26 km)
- Perigueux cathédrale Saint Front (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (27 km)
- Eglise Saint Etienne de la Cité (Perigueux): religious monument (27 km)
- Réserve naturelle régionale Étang de la Monnerie: site of natural beauty (33 km)
The French version of this page is at Chateau de Puyguilhem (Francais)