Castelsagrat, Tarn-et-Garonne tourism & sightseeing
Visit Castelsagrat (Midi-Pyrenees, France)Photo Gallery
It doesn't take long to visit the village. The focus in Castelsagrat is the main central square, the Place de la Liberté, which is surrounded by lovely stone arcaded buildings dating from the 13th and 14th centuries. Various small shops and a cafe are also to be found in the arcades.
The large central square in Castelsagrat no longer has the traditional covered market hall found in many bastide towns but it has been planted with trees and has a selection of large planters painted pale blue to match the dominant colour of the shutters around the square and overflowing with flowers, which makes for a very attractive town square. There is also a large stone well in the square.
Down the side streets running off the square there are also some beautiful half-timbered buildings, and more period houses in stone. The most interesting of these are to be seen in Rue Notre Dame and Rue de l'Echauguette.
The church of Castelsagrat stands on the corner of the main square and is the principal historic monument in the village. It was built in the 14th century but has been repaired and modified many times over the centuries. It has a particularly impressive altarpiece that is really quite exceptional, especially for a village church, with its statues, golden columns and intricate woodcarvings.
Places near to Castelsagrat
The region around the town is a quiet rural environment, peaceful even in the height of summer. There are several other small towns and villages which, like Castelsagrat itself, don't individually take long to explore but are very pleasant and a reminder of a France that is no longer easy to find - close by these include Brassac, Montjoi, Beauville and Bourg-de-Visa.
The quiet roads and gently rolling landscapes make this an ideal region for cycling in the south of France.
Map of Castelsagrat and places nearby
Visit near Castelsagrat with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Tarn-et-Garonne
Address: Castelsagrat, Valence, Castelsarrasin, Midi-Pyrenees, 82400, France || GPS: latitude 44.185, longitude 0.947778
Plan your visit to Castelsagrat, Tarn-et-Garonne
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Abbaye de Saint Maurin (Saint-Maurin): religious monument (5 km)
- Eglise de Notre-Dame (Lacour): religious monument (12 km)
- Auvillar: most beautiful village (13 km)
- Moissac abbatiale St Pierre (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (14 km)
- Eglise Notre Dame (Frespech): religious monument (17 km)
- Lauzerte: most beautiful village (17 km)
- Jardin du Pèlerin: remarkable garden (17 km)
- Eglise de Saint Martin (Layrac): religious monument (23 km)
- Grottes de Fontirou: site of natural beauty (25 km)
- Agen cathédrale St Caprais (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (26 km)
- Prieuré de Sainte Marie (Moirax): religious monument (27 km)
- Pujols: most beautiful village (30 km)
The French version of this page is at Castelsagrat (Francais)