Cap Frehel, Cotes-d'Armor: visitors guide
Visit Cap Frehel, FrancePhoto Gallery
Cap-Frehel is a very scenic spot on the northern coast of Brittany west of Dinard and close to Plévenol. The Cap is set on high limestone cliffs overlooking the sea to the north, and the wild heather countryside of the region inland. The views are very far-reaching and exceptional even when compared with the lovely coastal scenery we expect to find in Brittany
The cape is also a designated bird reserve and a popular location with bird-spotters.
Visiting Cap Frehel
The drive along the coast to the Cap Frehel is lovely then upon arriving you have to pay to get to the tip of the headland (only 2 euros but still…). I was disappointed at first because the view seemed no better than I had been enjoying from the car...
...but having parked the car and walked along the headland, which is covered in heather and bracken and appears to have lots of walks you can set out upon, and I was pleased to have come!
A small peninsula it is also an easy walk along the coast. If you walk beyond the lighthouse and the restaurant there is another outcrop of rock which is virtually an island and is constantly circled by seagulls and the lower part packed with nesting sea birds. An amazing sight and sound and the highlight of the visit!
There are two lighthouses at Cap Fréhel - one built by Louis XIV in 1650 and the other dating from 1950. The latter can be visited (which costs another 2 euros to enter), and in clear weather even the Channel islands can be seen in the distance.
To visit nearby
The village of Plévenon is near to Cap Fréhel, and most visitors will also want to visit Fort de la Latte. The fort is a 14th century castle in a dramatic clifftop location a few kilometres east of Cap-Fréhel and one of the most popular chateaux in Brittany.
After all that exercise you will perhaps be looking for a beach for the afternoon? There is a large beach at Sables d'Or-les-Pins a short distance west of Cap Fréhel, and the resort at Saint-Cast-le-Guildo to the east also has a popular sandy beach. Finally perhaps continue to the historical centre of Dinard for your evening promenade and dinner!
Activities near Cap Frehel
Map of Cap Frehel and places nearby
Visit near Cap Frehel with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Cotes-d'Armor
Plan your visit to Cap Frehel, Cotes-d'Armor
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Cap d'Erquy / Cap Frehel: grand site of france (7 km)
- Le Grand-Pourier: site of natural beauty (11 km)
- Îlot de la Colombière: site of natural beauty (12 km)
- Îlot du Verdelet: site of natural beauty (14 km)
- Baie de Lancieux, baie de l'Arguenon, archipel de Saint-Malo et Dinard: site of natural beauty (14 km)
- Cézembre: site of natural beauty (22 km)
- Dinard: town of art and history (22 km)
- Baie de Saint-Brieuc: site of natural beauty (22 km)
- Jardins de Montmarin: remarkable garden (23 km)
- Embouchure - Rance: site of natural beauty (24 km)
- Rance (fleuve): site of natural beauty (24 km)
- Saint-Malo: ville fleurie 4* (25 km)
The French version of this page is at Cap Frehel (Francais)