Iles des Glenan, Finistere visitors guide
Visit Iles des Glenan, France
The Glenan archipelago is a group of islands found in Brittany, 20 kilometres off the Finistere coast to the south of Fouesnant.
Explore the Îles des Glenan
The most important island in the group is Saint-Nicholas, along with its sister island Bananec, which can be reached on foot at low tide from Saint-Nicholas. The Ile du Loch is the largest island in the group, and is private property. Six other islands and countless rocks and islets make up the rest of the group.
The ferry to the islands takes about an hour. It is also possible to organise boat trips around the Glenan islands from the mainland.
The Glenan islands no longer have any permanent residents.
Saint-Nicholas: this island is best known for the diving centre that has been established here for more than 50 years. The popularity stems from the fact that the water here is especially clear and ideal for diving. Nearby Penfret is home to a major nautical / sailing school and training centre.
The Natural Reserve of Saint-Nicholas was established on the island due to the need to protect a rare flower found here, the Narcissus of Glenan (don't pick it if you see one!)
Guiautec Island is best known as a bird sanctuary and nature reserve.
A quiet group of islands, even bikes are not permitted on the islands - so bring walking shoes! Even if you are not here for diving you will be rewarded with quiet beaches and emerald green seas in a very peaceful setting. Facilities are very limited on the island, but there are two restaurants open during the summer.
Since the islands are far out at sea I can't really suggest attractions very close to the Iles des Glenan! Back on the mainland, in southern Finistere you are likely to also want to visit Benodet for a walk around the harbour, and the historic centre of Concarneau is listed as a 'town of art and history'.
Map of Iles des Glenan and places nearby
Visit near Iles des Glenan with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Finistere
Plan your visit to Iles des Glenan, Finistere
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Archipel des Glénan: site of natural beauty
- Marais de Mousterlin: site of natural beauty (16 km)
- Concarneau: town of art and history (19 km)
- Parc botanique de Cornouaille: remarkable garden (23 km)
- Quimper: town of art and history (32 km)
- Jardin du prieuré de Locmaria: remarkable garden (33 km)
- Jardin du château de Lanniron: remarkable garden (33 km)
- Lorient: town of art and history (41 km)
- Zoo de Pont-Scorff: zoo or wildlife park (46 km)
- Locronan: most beautiful village (46 km)
- Parc Victor Chevassu: remarkable garden (48 km)
- Massif Dunaire de Gavres-Quiberon: grand site of france (48 km)
The French version of this page is at Iles des Glenan (Francais)