Bouzigues, Herault tourism & sightseeing
Visit Bouzigues (Languedoc-Roussillon, France)
A centre for oyster and mussel production as far back as the Greeks - the earliest fishers here lived in troglodyte caves along the shore - Bouzigues is one of the towns on the northern shores of the Etang de Thau in Languedoc Rousssillon (across from Sete, which can be seen in the distance across the water).
The village of Bouzigues is without major monuments (although you will see the 15th century church) but the town centre is pleasant to stroll around.
There is a small beach in the village, which also has an attractive harbour used by both local fishing boats and visiting pleasure boats, and a stroll around the harbour is an essential part of a visit, perhaps pausing to watch a local artist or two trying to capture the scenery...
There are plenty of cafes, bars and restaurants. Of course, no visit would be complete without sampling the local mussels and oysters!
There is also a small museum in Bouzigues (in the port) that explains the history and techniques of the production of oysters and mussels in the Etang de Thau.
The oyster beds themselves are very photogenic, and best enjoyed by walking along the path along the edge of the etang.
Map of Bouzigues and places nearby
Visit near Bouzigues with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Herault
Address: Bouzigues, Mèze, Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon, 34140, France || GPS: latitude 43.449, longitude 3.6588
Plan your visit to Bouzigues, Herault
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Etang de Thau: site of natural beauty (6 km)
- Étangs palavasiens: site of natural beauty (17 km)
- Etangs du Bagnas: site of natural beauty (19 km)
- Pezenas: recommended detour (19 km)
- Céressou: site of natural beauty (24 km)
- Montpellier: secteur sauvegarde (25 km)
- Mare Nostrum: aquarium (27 km)
- Parc zoologique de Lunaret: zoo or wildlife park (27 km)
- Parc et jardins du château de Flaugergues: remarkable garden (28 km)
- Parc et jardin du château de Margon: remarkable garden (29 km)
- Jardin des carrières de Saint-Adrien: remarkable garden (29 km)
- Grotte de la Clamouse: site of natural beauty (29 km)
The French version of this page is at Bouzigues (Francais)