Biot, Alpes-Maritimes tourism & sightseeing
Visit Biot (Provence, France)Photo Gallery
Biot is a small town near Antibes, between Nice and Cannes, a little inland from the French Riviera. Despite its location, it is slightly off the main routes that cross the region and is much quieter than many of the towns in the area.
The village is very pretty with quite an extensive old town lined with attractive houses and numerous small features to catch your attention. The raised position of Biot means it qualifies as a Provencal perched village and it has the fortifications and entry gate that originally helped protect the town.
Park in the car parks concealed down the hillside (les bachettes) and enter Biot along the Rue Saint Sebastien - a broad boulevard lined with attractive colourful houses, cafes, and lots of greenery. The tourist office is halfway along this street. The old town is found at the far end of this road and contains many features and highlights to attract your attention as you explore.
The centre of Biot old town is the Place des Arcades (a narrow square with arcaded houses along both sides and the 15th century church at the end - be sure to go in the church to see the retable (altar painting) of the Virgin of the Rosary by 16th century artist Louis Brea.
As you explore the streets you will come to a small gap in the houses called the place de la Catastrophe - it was here in 1898 that three houses collapsed during a communion party killing 26 people.
Be sure to ask for a map of the town at Biot Tourist Office: the map contains a wealth of fascinating information, and highlights many interesting architectural features that you might otherwise miss that all help bring the history of the town to life.
These highlights include two of the original medieval gateways into the town, both built in the 1560's: the Porte des Migraniers on the Calade des Migraniers and the Porte des Tines on Rue des Tines. You can also follow a walk around part of the ramparts.
Biot is well known for:
- its glass-blowing: there are many shops and workshops that will introduce you to the art - and sell you examples
- Fernand Leger. There is a museum dedicated to the well known modern artist Fernand Leger on the edge of the town, with an interesting collection that shows you the life and career of the painter as it developed over the earlier decades of the 20th century.
Slightly south-west of Biot town centre you should also explore the large gardens of the Chèvre d'Or. These cover about a hectare and include terraces, citrus trees and Italian style gardens and a profusion of flowers.
Map of Biot and places nearby
Visit near Biot with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Alpes-Maritimes
Address: Biot, Antibes-Biot, Grasse, Provence, 6410, France || GPS: latitude 43.6294, longitude 7.09611
Plan your visit to Biot, Alpes-Maritimes
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Marineland d'Antibes: aquarium (3 km)
- Jardin botanique de la villa Thuret: remarkable garden (6 km)
- Parc Phœnix: zoo or wildlife park (11 km)
- Cannes: ville fleurie 4* (11 km)
- Abbaye de Lerins (Cannes): religious monument (11 km)
- Gourdon: most beautiful village (14 km)
- Baou de Saint-Jeannet: site of natural beauty (14 km)
- Grasse: secteur sauvegarde (14 km)
- Jardin de la Villa Fort de France: remarkable garden (15 km)
- Jardin botanique: remarkable garden (16 km)
- Nice: secteur sauvegarde (16 km)
- Parc du château de la Napoule: remarkable garden (17 km)
The French version of this page is at Biot (Francais)