Balaruc-le-Vieux, Herault: tourism & sightseeing
Visit Balaruc-le-Vieux (Languedoc-Roussillon, France)Photo Gallery
Balaruc-le-Vieux is a village on the north-eastern edge of the Etang de Thau in Languedoc Roussillon.
The small town has retained its circular form, a traditional defensive design in the Languedoc region, and the original medieval ramparts surround an attractive town of narrow streets waiting to be explored.
Balaruc-le-Vieux is only a very small town and with limited facilities but well worth stopping off at for a quick exploration. Follow the walk around the ramparts, then explore the streets within the ramparts such as the Rue de l'église and the Rue du Chateau.
One particular highlight within the town walls is the 14th century Church of Saint-Maurice, which is especially known for its stained glass windows, and for the bell standing exposed on the top of the church. You can also see a small part of the medieval castle that once stood here.
Perhaps the best time to visit Balaruc is during the 'medieval recreation' period in July, when the town steps back 500 years, and the streets are filled with medieval entertainments.
To visit near Balaruc
Nearby on the coast, Balaruc-les-Bains is a popular thermal spa resort, and has been since the 17th century.
The town of Sete, just a few kilometres to the south, is a substantial town with several important religious monuments and museums, and an active port.
Map of Balaruc-le-Vieux and places nearby
Visit near Balaruc-le-Vieux with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Herault
Address: Balaruc-le-Vieux, Frontignan, Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon, 34540, France || GPS: latitude 43.461, longitude 3.6852
Plan your visit to Balaruc-le-Vieux, Herault
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Etang de Thau: site of natural beauty (8 km)
- Étangs palavasiens: site of natural beauty (14 km)
- Pezenas: recommended detour (21 km)
- Etangs du Bagnas: site of natural beauty (21 km)
- Montpellier: secteur sauvegarde (23 km)
- Mare Nostrum: aquarium (24 km)
- Parc zoologique de Lunaret: zoo or wildlife park (25 km)
- Parc et jardins du château de Flaugergues: remarkable garden (25 km)
- Céressou: site of natural beauty (25 km)
- Grotte de la Clamouse: site of natural beauty (29 km)
- Saint Jean de Fos pont du diable (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (29 km)
- Parc et jardin du château de Margon: remarkable garden (31 km)
The French version of this page is at Balaruc-le-Vieux (Francais)