Audressein, Ariege tourism & sightseeing
Visit Audressein (Midi-Pyrenees, France)Photo Gallery
The small village of Audressein is in a valley that runs south-west from Saint-Girons, in the Ariege department of south-west France.
While it will only take you half an hour to explore the village, a pause is recommended if you are exploring this part of Ariege because the centre of the village is very picturesque, with a small river crossed by a bridge, a traditional village centre and an interesting early church that includes some medieval frescoes.
The path that leads to the church follows alongside the river.
The church in Audressein has a most unusual and ornate belltower with two arches, but it is the medieval frescoes in the porch area that are of most interest to visitors. Although these are rather faded with the centuries several can still be seen quite clearly.
You can also see a 'hydraulic harvester' next to the bridge in Audressein but it is only open to the public a couple of times a year.
Other roman period churches in the vicinity
Enthusiasts of church architecture will also want to visit the church at nearby Castillon-en-Couserans (Castillon is a larger village than Audressein and has various commerces) which is in a similar style.
On the road towards Saint-Girons from Audressein you pass through a village called Luzenac. Otherwise unremarkable, Luzenac also has a very interesting church, dating from the 12th century (see the western entrance and the carved capital stones) and with a baroque facade added in the 15th century.
Most visitors to this region are here to enjoy the countryside and natural highlights of the Natural Regional Park of the Pyrénées Ariégeoises (Audressein is in the western part of the parc), and there are numerous opportunities to cycle and hike in the surrounding countryside.
The most interesting group of towns and villages nearby is near Saint-Girons, a town with an attractive riverfront that is close to the pretty villages of Saint-Lizier and Montjoie-en-Couserans: this group is a short distance north-east of Audressein.
Map of Audressein and places nearby
Visit near Audressein with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Ariege
Address: Audressein, Castillon-en-Couserans, Saint-Girons, Midi-Pyrenees, 9800, France || GPS: latitude 42.929444, longitude 1.024444
Plan your visit to Audressein, Ariege
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Audressein Église Notre-Dame de Tramesaygues (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site
- Saint Lizier cathédrale (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (12 km)
- Saint-Lizier: most beautiful village (12 km)
- Henne Morte: site of natural beauty (14 km)
- Cirque d'Anglade: site of natural beauty (26 km)
- Pyrenees Ariegeoises: regional natural parc (34 km)
- Valcabrère basilique St Just (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (37 km)
- St Bertrand de Comminges chapelle St Julien (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (38 km)
- Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges: most beautiful village (38 km)
- St Bertrand de Comminges cathédrale (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (38 km)
- Vallée de Vicdessos: site of natural beauty (42 km)
- Gorges de la Save: site of natural beauty (45 km)
The French version of this page is at Audressein (Francais)