Aubres, Drome tourism & sightseeing
Visit Aubres (Rhone-Alpes, France)Photo Gallery
Aubres is a village stretched out along the crest of a hill in the Drome department (Rhone-Alps), close to Nyons and north-east of Vaison-la-Romaine. It is the oldest part of the village that is of interest to visitors, and is best approached by the footpath from the newer part of Aubres but can also be reached by car.
France This Way comment: although it is small, the perched village of Aubres is well worth exploring, both for the medieval buildings in the village and for the views across the surrounding countryside from the belvederes at the ends of the village.
In common with several ancient villages in the Alps Aubres has its origins in the middle ages but became abandoned over the centuries due to the difficulties of living in such an environment, before being rediscovered and partially renovated in the 1950s and 1960s.
Among the narrow roads and alleys of the village you will discover vaulted passageways and cobbled pathways, ancient archways and numerous buildings of interest and beauty.
As well as exploring the streets of the village you will also see the village church, dating from the 14th century, and the remains of the castle around which Aubres originally developed (now converted into a restaurant). In the Place de la Fontaine you can see a small traditional washhouse, built in stone and leaning against a house.
Below the historic part of Aubres there is also a newer part to the village.
Aubres is well situated to explore the Drome region, with its famous lavender fields and olive trees and attractive scenery to the north or popular villages such as Vaison-la-Romaine and scenic highlights including the Dentelles de Montmirail to the south.
Note: photos of Aubres kindly shared with france this way by Mike Roy.
Map of Aubres and places nearby
Visit near Aubres with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Drome
Address: Aubres, Nyons, Rhone-Alpes, 26110, France || GPS: latitude 44.3775, longitude 5.168611
Plan your visit to Aubres, Drome
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Nyons: recommended detour (3 km)
- Vaison-la-Romaine: town of art and history (17 km)
- Cathédrale Notre Dame de Nazareth (Vaison-la-Romaine): religious monument (17 km)
- Seguret: most beautiful village (22 km)
- Dentelles de Montmirail: site of natural beauty (24 km)
- Mont Ventoux: grand site of france (24 km)
- Abbaye d'Aiguebelle (Montjoyer): religious monument (27 km)
- Cathédrale Notre-Dame (Saint-Paul-Trois-Chateaux): religious monument (32 km)
- Eglise de Saint Michel (La Garde-Adhemar): religious monument (33 km)
- Jardin des herbes: remarkable garden (33 km)
- La Ferme aux crocodiles: zoo or wildlife park (37 km)
- Carpentras: town of art and history (37 km)
The French version of this page is at Aubres (Francais)