Sidebar Menu

Photo of Amiens history
hotels
Booking.com: best prices
Where
Arrive
Leave

Historically the chief town of Picardy, Amiens is a very ancient city that is referred to in the Commentaries of Caesar (100-44 B.C.) as 'Samarobriva' or the 'fortified town of the ‘Ambiani’ Gauls”. The word Samarobriva is likely to come from the word 'briva' - bridge - on the Somme River ('Samara-o' = 'Somme'.

Samarobriva was a fortified 'oppidum' very important to the Romans, not only from a strategic-military standpoint, but also for commercial regions - especially its proximity to the sea, and as a point of connection with several of the most important Roman roads: the Via Solemnis (Rome-Boulogne-sur-Mere), 'Lutetia' (Paris), 'Augusta Veromanduorum (Saint-Quentin), Noviodunum (Noyon), Augusta Suessiorum (Soissons), and others. Hence in Roman times the city became very rich by its trade and as a place of residence, which offered amenities of all kinds - Cicero (106-43 B.C.) himself compared it to Taranto, which in antiquity was a city renowned for its pleasure and luxury.

There are numerous finds from excavations in and around Amiens, now distributed in various museums, such as sarcophagi, paintings, mosaics and ceramics, inscriptions on stones, jewelleries, decorated potteries, glass works that bear witness to the ancient splendour of the city.

From the 3rd century the great barbarian invasions began, which in turn saw the territory of Amiens occupied by the Swabians, Alans, Vandals and Huns, with severe destructions and massacres of populations.

The affirmation of Christianity in Amiens came in the 5th century with Bishop Saint Firmin. With the advent of the Franks, the city was dominated by Clovis and later by the Kingdom of Soissons under Chlothar (497 ca.-561). The city was then dominated by the Episcopal power, bolstered by generous donations from the Merovingian Kings, with the birth in 852 of the great basilica of Sainte-Marie de Firmin.

The Normans occupied Amiens in the 9th-10th centuries. With the advent of the Municipality the city became a seat of powerful and wealthy merchants and was of great economic importance (XIII-XVI Century); the evidence is the construction of the cathedral, built since 1220.

In the 15th century the city was dominated by the Burgundians - having been subjected to the Kingdom of France in 1185 under Philip II, the Treaty of Arras in 1435 ceded Amiens to Philip the Good of Burgundy. It belonged to the duchy of Burgundy until 1477, when it once more returned to France.

Between the 17th and 18th centuries under Louis XIII (1601-1643) the city was embellished with new civic and religious monuments including the Arsenal [1636], Churches and Monasteries.

In World War I the city suffered heavy damage, and again Amiens suffered greatly during World War II. The city was rebuilt by Piere Dafau who strengthened the existing 18th century plan with boulevards. Today the city has a vibrant economy based on many sectors (weaving cotton and wool, metal industry, food, footwear and glass). Amiens continues to be a major agricultural market and trade, thanks to important communication routes that for centuries have placed the city in an excellent position to trade.

Back To Top