Allemans-du-Dropt, Lot-et-Garonne tourism & sightseeing
Visit Allemans-du-Dropt (Aquitaine, France)Photo Gallery
Allemans-du-Dropt is a village on the banks of the Dropt River, to the south-west of Eymet in the northern Lot-et-Garonne. Although it is quite a small village that won't take you long to explore a stop is recommended because it contains a few notable monuments of interest. These include:
The Church of Saint Eutrope
This church is the highlight in the village. Dating from the 10th century, although much altered in later centuries, this church in the centre of Allemans-du-Dropt is unremarkable from the outside, but inside the walls are covered with many 15th century frescoes.
These frescoes, painted in vivid colours, were rediscovered in 1935 and have now been largely restored - they represent various episodes from the bible, mostly the Last Judgement , and many have an almost startling modern quality about them (you can pay a euro to have the church lights turned on to see the frescoes properly!)
The castle was largely constructed in the 16th century but in part includes a much earlier building on the same site
There are two market halls in the village of Allemans-du-Dropt, the original market hall next to the church is constructed in wood, and a larger hall has also been built in stone - this is the prune hall, built in the 19th century and traditionally the centre for the local prune markets.
Prunes have historically been an important crop here, and are still widely grown in the region - typically moist 'half-dried' prunes marketed under the name of 'pruneaux d'agen' - try them, they are delicious!
Before leaving Allemans-du-Dropt be sure to stroll down to the bridge across the River Dropt to enjoy the attractive setting, picturesque views along the river, and the old watermill. There is a cafe in the village (across the square from the church) but otherwise facilities are limited.
Attractions near Allemans-du-Dropt
The region around the village is quiet rolling countryside, and many of the most interesting sights are close to the Dropt river: see the Dropt Valley guide for details.
Map of Allemans-du-Dropt and places nearby
Visit near Allemans-du-Dropt with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Lot-et-Garonne
Address: Allemans-du-Dropt, Lauzun, Marmande, Aquitaine, 47800, France || GPS: latitude 44.627778, longitude 0.29
Plan your visit to Allemans-du-Dropt, Lot-et-Garonne
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Parc et potager de Pouthet: remarkable garden (10 km)
- Jardin du cloître Notre-Dame: remarkable garden (17 km)
- Jardins de Beauchamp: remarkable garden (17 km)
- Bergerac: ville fleurie 4* (29 km)
- Jardins du Sardy: remarkable garden (29 km)
- Montcaret Archaeological site: national monument (31 km)
- Ets Latour-Marliac: remarkable garden (33 km)
- Eglise de Sainte Livrade (Sainte-Livrade-sur-Lot): religious monument (35 km)
- Monflanquin: most beautiful village (39 km)
- Pujols: most beautiful village (41 km)
- Eglise Sainte-Croix (Beaumont-du-Perigord): religious monument (45 km)
- Saint-Avit Eglise (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (45 km)
The French version of this page is at Allemans-du-Dropt (Francais)