Tours tourism and travel guide
Visit Tours: highlights and tourist informationTravel Guide To Visit Attractions
France This Way comment: Tours is a large important town with numerous monuments, gardens and medieval buildings, and is also well placed to explore the west of the Loire Valley
This page features a summary of highlights that you might like to explore near Tours. For detailed visitor information see the Tours travel guide.
Tours is situated in the Indre-et-Loire department and Loire Valley region (now part of the Centre-Loire Valley region), in the eastern-center of France - it is the prefecture (capital) of the Indre-et-Loire department (general information: Tours is 204 kilometres from Paris).
Attractions in Tours
The la Psalette cloister and the cathedral of Tours together make a very impressive religious monument with various architectural styles: Tours Cathedral and La Psalette Cloisters
Tourist classifications for Tours include "town of art and history", "secteur sauvegarde" and "ville fleurie 4*". It is unusual for a town to have 3 awards, which indicates how important Tours is as a tourist destination!
Tours, France: places to visit and attractions
Some of the places that we have visited and reviewed and can recommend when you are sightseeing close to Tours in Centre-Loire Valley.
Note that all distances below are 'direct' and real driving distances will be greater!
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Indre-et-Loire
Map of places to visit near Tours
Markets in and near Tours
- La Riche: market Wednesday & Saturday (2km)
- Saint-Cyr-sur-Loire: market Tuesday & Friday (2km)
- Saint-Pierre-Des-Corps: market Wednesday & Tuesday & Saturday & Friday (2km)
- Saint-Avertin: market Wednesday & Friday (4km)
- Joue-les-Tours: market Wednesday & Thursday & Sunday & Saturday (5km)
- Chambray-les-Tours: market Thursday & Sunday (6km)
- Fondettes: market Wednesday & Sunday (7km)
- Ballan-Mire: market Sunday & Friday (8km)
- Luynes: market Saturday (10km)
- Montlouis-sur-Loire: market Thursday (10km)
More information about Tours, Loire Valley
Tourist attractions near Tours, France
Some places with official tourist classifications and other places of interest to visit nearby that should provide inspiration if you are visiting Tours.
- Aquarium du Val-de-Loire (17km)
Most beautiful villages in France
(see also beautiful French villages)
- Cloisters of la Psalette (0km)
- Chateau d'Azay-le-Rideau (22km)
Recommended detour towns (fr: plus beau détour)
- Loches (39km)
- Le jardin des Prébendes d'Oé (0km)
- Les jardins du prieuré de Saint-Cosme (2km)
- Les jardins du château de Villandry (14km)
- Parc et jardins du château de Valmer (16km)
- Les jardins de la Chatonnière (22km)
- Parc et jardins du château de Chenonceau (30km)
- Domaine régional de Chaumont-sur-Loire (38km)
- Jardin du domaine de Sasnières (41km)
- Parc de Lathan (41km)
- Jardins du château de Poncé (41km)
- Les jardins du château du Rivau (43km)
- Parc et jardins du château du Lude (49km)
Protected historical centre (fr: secteur sauvegardé)
(see also historical French towns)
Villages in bloom 4* (fr: ville fleurie)
- Saint-Cyr-sur-Loire (2km)
Zoo and/or wildlife park
- Réserve de Beaumarchais (27km)
Geography and distances
Distance to Tours
from Tours (prefecture): 0 km
from Paris: 204 km
from Calais: 405 km
from Nice: 656 km
from Bordeaux: 300 km
from Strasbourg: 542 km
Tours is in the eastern-center of France. Most visitors arrive in one of the cross-channel ports such as Caen and Le Havre (about 3-4 hours drive from here) or fly into Paris and drive south from there. For driving distances to Tours from anywhere in France see driving distances and route planner.
We have 10 other places listed as being close (less than kilometres from ): Ballan-Mire, Chambray-les-Tours, Joue-les-Tours, La Riche, La Ville-Aux-Dames, Parcay-Meslay, Rochecorbon, Saint-Avertin, Saint-Cyr-sur-Loire and Saint-Pierre-Des-Corps.
This page in French: Visiter Tours