Ile de Re tourism and travel guide
Visit Ile de Re: highlights and tourist informationTravel Guide To Visit Attractions
France This Way comment: The Ile-de-Ré is an island with lots of sandy beaches and some attractive villages. Much loved by cycling families!
This page features a summary of highlights that you might like to explore near Ile de Re. For detailed visitor information see the Ile de Re travel guide.
Ile de Re is situated in the Charente-Maritime department and Poitou-Charentes region (now part of the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region), in the west of France at 20 kilometres from La Rochelle, the department capital (general information: Ile de Re is 408 kilometres from Paris).
Ile de Re, France: places to visit and attractions
Some of the places that we have visited and reviewed and can recommend when you are sightseeing close to Ile de Re in Nouvelle-Aquitaine.
Note that all distances below are 'direct' and real driving distances will be greater!
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Charente-Maritime
Map of places to visit near Ile de Re
Markets in and near Ile de Re
- La Couarde-sur-Mer: market every day - seasonal market only (1km)
- Le Bois-Plage-en-Re: market every day (3km)
- Ars-en-Re: market every day except Tuesday - seasonal market only (8km)
- Ars-en-Re: market Tuesday (8km)
- Saintes: market every day except Monday (8km)
- Rivedoux Plage: market Monday and Friday (11km)
- La Faute-sur-Mer: market Thursday & Sunday (16km)
- La Tranche-sur-Mer: market Wednesday & Saturday (17km)
- Saint Denis d'Oleron: market Monday (19km)
- La Rochelle: market every day (20km)
More information about Ile de Re, Poitou-Charentes
Tourist attractions near Ile de Re, France
Some places with official tourist classifications and other places of interest to visit nearby that should provide inspiration if you are visiting Ile de Re.
- Aquarium de La Rochelle (21km)
Grand sites of France
- Brouage Fortifications (47km)
Most beautiful villages in France
(see also beautiful French villages)
- Georges Clemenceau house (26km)
- Jardins du phare de Chassiron (19km)
- Jardins de la Boirie (30km)
- Jardins de Chaligny (45km)
- Jardins du Bâtiment (50km)
Protected historical centre (fr: secteur sauvegardé)
(see also historical French towns)
- La Rochelle (20km)
Sites of natural beauty
- Forêt de Saint-Trojan (43km)
- Baie de l'Aiguillon (46km)
- Hiers-Brouage (47km)
Towns of Art and history
- Rochefort (45km)
Villages in bloom 4* (fr: ville fleurie)
- Marans (34km)
Zoo and/or wildlife park
- Parc zoologique des Sables-d'Olonne (42km)
Geography and distances
Distance to Ile de Re
from La Rochelle (prefecture): 20 km
from Paris: 408 km
from Calais: 580 km
from Nice: 737 km
from Bordeaux: 165 km
from Strasbourg: 738 km
Ile de Re is in the west of France. Most visitors will arrive by car typically from a channel ferry ports such as Saint Malo, Caen or Cherbourg, a drive af about 4-5 hours. For driving distances to Ile de Re from anywhere in France see driving distances and route planner.
This page in French: Visiter Ile de Re