Grenoble tourism and travel guide
Visit Grenoble: highlights and tourist informationTravel Guide To Visit Attractions
France This Way comment: Known as the 'capital of the Alps', Grenoble has a great deal of interesting sights. Don't miss the cable car!
This page features a summary of highlights that you might like to explore near Grenoble. For detailed visitor information see the Grenoble travel guide.
Grenoble is situated in the Isere department and Rhone-Alpes region (now part of the Auvergne Rhône-Alpes region), in the east of France - it is the prefecture (capital) of the Isere department (general information: Grenoble is 484 kilometres from Paris).
Tourist classifications for Grenoble include "town of art and history".
Grenoble, France: places to visit and attractions
Some of the places that we have visited and reviewed and can recommend when you are sightseeing close to Grenoble in Auvergne Rhône-Alpes.
Note that all distances below are 'direct' and real driving distances will be greater!
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Isere
Map of places to visit near Grenoble
Markets in and near Grenoble
- Saint-Martin-d'Heres: market Wednesday & Saturday (2km)
- Echirolles: market Thursday & Sunday & Friday (3km)
- Fontaine: market Tuesday & Thursday & Sunday & Saturday (5km)
- Le Pont-de-Claix: market Sunday (6km)
- Meylan: market Tuesday (6km)
- Saint-Egreve: market Tuesday & Friday (8km)
- Domene: market Thursday (9km)
- Vizille: market Tuesday (10km)
- Villard-Bonnot: market Tuesday (13km)
- Vif: market Friday (13km)
More information about Grenoble, Rhone-Alpes
Tourist attractions near Grenoble, France
Some places with official tourist classifications and other places of interest to visit nearby that should provide inspiration if you are visiting Grenoble.
Most beautiful villages in France
(see also beautiful French villages)
Regional Natural Parcs
- Chartreuse (25km)
- Vercors (36km)
- Jardin du musée Hébert (4km)
- Parc du château de Vizille (11km)
- Parc du château du Touvet (27km)
Protected historical centre (fr: secteur sauvegardé)
(see also historical French towns)
- Chambery (47km)
Sites of natural beauty
- Mont Jalla (4km)
- Ruines de Séchilienne (13km)
- Cascade du Moulin-Marquis (26km)
- Gorges de la Bourne (27km)
- Grottes de Choranche (28km)
- Mont Granier (36km)
- Col de la Croix-de-Fer (37km)
- Mont Aiguille (39km)
- La Meije (49km)
Villages in bloom 4* (fr: ville fleurie)
- Saint-Gervais (20km)
Geography and distances
Distance to Grenoble
from Grenoble (prefecture): 2 km
from Paris: 484 km
from Calais: 704 km
from Nice: 203 km
from Bordeaux: 497 km
from Strasbourg: 410 km
For driving distances to Grenoble from anywhere in France see driving distances and route planner.
We have 19 other places listed as being close (less than kilometres from ): Bresson, Claix, Corenc, Echirolles, Eybens, Fontaine, Gieres, Herbeys, La Tronche, Le Pont-de-Claix, Meylan, Poisat, Saint-Martin-d'Heres, Saint-Martin-le-Vinoux, Sassenage, Seyssinet-Pariset, Seyssins, Vaulnaveys-le-Haut and Venon.
This page in French: Visiter Grenoble