Bourges tourism and travel guide
Visit Bourges: highlights and tourist informationTravel Guide To Visit Attractions
France This Way comment: Although Bourges is known for its stunning cathedral, it also has a substantial medieval centre and the Palais Jacques-Coeur among its many places of interest
This page features a summary of highlights that you might like to explore near Bourges. For detailed visitor information see the Bourges travel guide.
Bourges is situated in the Cher department and Loire Valley region (now part of the Centre-Loire Valley region), in the center of France - it is the prefecture (capital) of the Cher department (general information: Bourges is 197 kilometres from Paris).
Attractions in Bourges
The cathedral in Bourges is a 13th century building with remarkable stonework and impressive stained glass windows: Bourges Cathedral
The Palais Jacques-Coeur is a charming medieval palace with impressive rooms and fireplaces in the heart of Bourges: Bourges Palais Jacques-Coeur
Tourist classifications for Bourges include "national monument", "national monument", "secteur sauvegarde", "town of art and history" and "ville fleurie 4*". It is unusual for a town to have 5 awards, which indicates how important Bourges is as a tourist destination!
Bourges, France: places to visit and attractions
Some of the places that we have visited and reviewed and can recommend when you are sightseeing close to Bourges in Centre-Loire Valley.
Note that all distances below are 'direct' and real driving distances will be greater!
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Cher
Map of places to visit near Bourges
Markets in and near Bourges
Market days in Bourges: weekly market: Wednesday & Thursday & Sunday & Saturday & Friday;
- Bourges: market Wednesday & Thursday & Sunday & Saturday & Friday (0km)
- Mehun-sur-Yevre: market Wednesday (15km)
- Saint-Florent-sur-Cher: market Friday & (16km)
- Baugy: market Friday (25km)
- Henrichemont: market Wednesday (26km)
- Dun-sur-Auron: market Saturday (26km)
- Reuilly: market Friday (27km)
- Vierzon: market Wednesday & Tuesday & Saturday (29km)
- Issoudun: market Saturday all day (34km)
- Lignieres: market Monday (41km)
More information about Bourges, Loire Valley
Tourist attractions near Bourges, France
Some places with official tourist classifications and other places of interest to visit nearby that should provide inspiration if you are visiting Bourges.
Recommended detour towns (fr: plus beau détour)
Churches and religious monuments
- Eglise de Saint Martin (Plaimpied-Givaudins) (11km)
- Eglise de Saint André (Jussy-Champagne) (22km)
- St Aignan de Brinay (Brinay) (23km)
- Collegiale Saint Etienne (Dun-sur-Auron) (26km)
- Eglise de Saint Germain (Blet) (33km)
- Abbaye de La Celle (La Celle) (35km)
- Eglise de Saint Martin (Ineuil) (35km)
- Abbaye Notre Dame de Noirlac et Saint Etienne Prieuré (Bruere-Allichamps) (38km)
- Les Prés Fichaux (0km)
(recommended place to break a long journey)
- Vatan (45km)
Villages in bloom 4* (fr: ville fleurie)
- Issoudun (34km)
- Saint-Amand-Montrond (41km)
- Aubigny-sur-Nere (45km)
Geography and distances
Distance to Bourges
from Bourges (prefecture): 0 km
from Paris: 197 km
from Calais: 431 km
from Nice: 535 km
from Bordeaux: 340 km
from Strasbourg: 433 km
Bourges is in the center of France. Most visitors fly into Paris and rent a car or drive from one of the channel ports such as Caen or Le Havre, a drive af about 2-3 hours. For driving distances to Bourges from anywhere in France see driving distances and route planner.
This page in French: Visiter Bourges