Now, I have to say, even among the other quick and easy recipes I include, this cherry cake recipe wins the prize for quick and easy. Less than 5 minutes to make, then serve hot with cream. Oh yes, tastes good too.
125gm (4 oz) self raising flour
8 dessertspoons sugar
cherries - best with fresh ripe cherries, ideally stoned (I don't bother but I have a tolerant family)
- Beat/whisk the eggs, then add the sugar and beat that in to the eggs
- Add the flour to the mix, and beat it in - you will probably need to use a fork, since it is too thick for a hand-held whisk and the recipe is too quick to bother getting the food-mixer out
- Add a small amount of milk, perhaps 1/2 a cup, and mix well in. The consistency should be half-way between double cream and single cream - quite smooth but not at all watery. A cherry placed in the cake mix should stay put, not roll around!
- Pour the mix into a tart/quiche type dish, quite low and flat
- Add the cherries, carefully laid in an attractive pattern if it is for a dinner party (careful, this can add 2 minutes to the preparation time)
- Cook in a PREHEATED hot oven (225degrees c / gas 7) for about 35-40 minutes, then remove. You can sprinkle some sugar on top if you want it to look even more sophisticated.
- Serve your chery cake, ideally still hot but still nice cold, with a big blob of creme fraiche. Yum.