Like traditional bread pudding - but made using French bread...just as delicious
1 loaf French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 cup raisins
1 quart half-and-half
4 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 pinch nutmeg
1/4 pound butter, melted
- Soak the raisins for 30 minutes in warm water, then drain well.
- Fill a 9-inch square baking pan with the bread cubes and sprinkle the raisins on top. Use enough bread to come to the top of the pan.
- Whisk the remaining ingredients together to make a batter, pour over bread, and stir lightly. Allow the bread to soak 1/2 hour. If there's not enough batter, add a little more milk to the pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for about 40 minutes, until the pudding is golden brown and puffed up around the edges.
- The center should be set but still a little soft.