Chocolate strawberry turnover from France
5 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate
2 teaspoons butter
1 cup fresh strawberries stem, sliced.
2 tablespoons freshly grated orange zest
1 large egg
1 thawed puff pastry sheet
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray
- Trim any uneven scraps from your pastry sheet and slice it into 4 equal squares.
- In a small bowl beat the egg until fluffy and brush onto the edges of the pastry squares, and set aside on the prepared baking sheet until chocolate mixture is ready.
- Using a double boiler melt the chocolate and butter. Stir the mixture to blend and remove from heat as soon as the chocolate is melted.
- Stir in the orange zest and set aside.
- Divide the strawberries among each square making a little mound in the center, then evenly divide the chocolate mixture between each square poring over the strawberries in the center.
- Fold each square diagonally in half, forming triangles and seal the edges by gently pressing together.
- With a sharp knife, cut a small steam vent in the top of each turnover and then brush the tops with egg and sprinkle with sugar. Place the baking sheet on the center rack and cook until golden brown about 10 minutes.
- Serve the turnovers warm, with vanilla ice cream and/or whipped cream.