This dish will make your home smell wonderful. For dinner you not only get tender, flavourful chicken, you also have soft, nutty garlic cloves to enjoy spread on hot French bread with the meal. Serves 2 to 4.
6 chicken thighs
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon white pepper
20 cloves garlic
3 cups water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped celery and leaves
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/8 teaspoon thyme
1 cup dry white wine
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Separate cloves of garlic and put them (unpeeled) into boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and rinse under cold water, then peel.
- Coat the bottom of a shallow casserole dish with oil, and add garlic, celery, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and thyme.
- Add wine and stir.
- Add chicken, skin side down, and baste.
- Cover tightly and bake for 35 minutes.
- Turn the chicken, baste, and bake for a further 40 minutes.