We have more than one recipe for baked garlic bread - this one uses whole cloves of garlic, baked first, and optional cream cheese, for an unusual but tasty variation
4 cloves garlic, left whole
2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons clarified butter
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 French bread loaf, sliced and heated
6 ounces cream cheese or soft cheese (optional) or 1/2 cup butter, softened
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Trim the tops of the garlic heads, leaving them whole but removing about 1/4 inch. Remove excess dry skins.
- Rub the heads with a little of the butter or oil and put in a very small baking dish or crock the size of the four heads.
- Drizzle with the rest of the oil or butter, sprinkle with salt and pepper, cover loosely, reduce heat to 275 degrees F and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover, and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Slice and heat the French bread (optional) in the last 10 minutes of the baking garlic.
- To serve: Spread French bread with soft creamy cheese (optional) or butter and squeeze clove by clove onto the bread and spread it.