One of our favourite treats - and also one of the quickest and easiest French recipes I know of. Give it a try next time you have people over for aperitifs.
1 whole Camembert
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup sliced almonds
4 sliced apples
Lightly toasted French baguette
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the Camembert on an oven-safe serving dish.
- Brush the top with butter and toss the nuts in the remaining butter.
- Scatter the nuts over the top of the cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese softens and the nuts are lightly toasted.
- Serve surrounded with apple slices and baguette slices.
A popular alternative is to very thinly slice a garlic clove and to push the slices of garlic through the top crust of the camembert (instead of the nuts). Cook the camembert, still in its wooden box, then serve complete to the table with lots of fresh bread and eat like a fondue, dipping the bread into the melted cheese.