Map of France
There are several maps of France on this page - please select the one you are interested in:
- Interactive map with links to all regions and departments in France
- Map of the regions in France
- Map of the departments in France
- Relief map
- More maps...
Use the map below to quickly find our detailed review for any region, department or place in France and access our detailed guide for that destination.
official region unofficial region department
Each of these individual regions, departments and places on francethisway also has a more detailed map showing many of the highlights and places in that French region or near the selected destination.
Note: starred places are the prefecture towns (capitals) of each department.
Every region in France is further divided into departments (see departments of France for information).
The relief map shows all the important mountain ranges in France, as well as important rivers.
Maps are widely used on france this way:
1) To explore France and to help you find things that will interest you where you are going, by identifying other places and tourist attractions that are close by:
- every 'place' review on the site has a location map showing several local places of interest, and a link to a page with a detailed map showing all places of interest within about 50 kilometers - these maps are the easiest way to plan a visit
- every 'region' and department review also has a summary map of highlights
2) For planning your route between places in France and for route instructions see our France driving distances maps
3) Find the weather forecast for any region on the French weather map
4) We also have maps for specific items of interest, for example:
- the Map of Paris (shows location of the major landmarks in that city)
- the wine regions of France
- the main rivers of France
- the airports of France
- the most beautiful villages of France
- the 'French towns in bloom'
- the listed'sites of natural beauty'
- the national monuments of France
- the France castles
- the historical French towns (city centres protected as 'secteur sauvegardé)
- the zoos, aquariums and wildlife parks
If there is a map we have overlooked or would be useful for plannng a visit to France please let us know. We are always adding new places and information but please also let us know if you think your town or favourite destination should be added!