Volvic, Auvergne: tourism & sightseeing
Visit Volvic (Auvergne, France)
Located in central France 14 kilometres north of Clermont-Ferrand, Volvic is nowadays most famous its high quality natural spring water. Volvic mineral water is bottled in the town and sold all over the world, and has been popular for almost 70 years.
In Volvic itself the key sites include:
- the 'Grotte de la Pierre de Volvic ': a visit to the old quarries and rock-workings in the town. Volvic stone is a very hard rock that for several centuries was held in very high esteem.The six metre tall statue of Notre-Dame-de-la-Garde that overlooks the town is an example of this local Volvic stone.
- you can visit the source of Volvic water and take a guided tour.
- the Chateau de Tournoel, a medieval castle (constructed 11th - 16th centuries) standing in a naturally defensive postion over the entrance to the Parc des Volcans d'Auvergne and on the slope of an attractive wooded hillside
- the Church of Saint-Priest, a 12th century church in the roman style (the choir and transept are original but a substantial part of the church is a 19th century reconstruction in the neo-roman style)
Although there is not a great deal of historic interest to see, a stroll around Volvic is pleasant and there are various highlights to discover including small fountains and interesting architectural uses of the local stone.
To visit close to Volvic
It is of course the scenery of the Parc des Volcans d'Auvergne region and the beautiful landscape of extinct volcanoes, now with forests running up the volcanoes to their craters, of the Chaine des Puys that attracts most visitors here: it is perfect countryside for hiking and cycling and other outdoor activities.
If you visit nearby Clermont-Ferrand or Riom you will see famous examples of the use of volvic rock when you see the dark stone cathedrals. Many other buildings in the region around Volvic and the Auvergne are also constructed using or incorporate elements of the easily identifiable stone
Another recommended towns to visit nearby is Mozac.
Map of Volvic and places to visit
Visit near Volvic with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Puy-de-Dome
Address: Volvic, Riom-Ouest, Riom, Puy-de-Dome, Auvergne, 63530, France || GPS: latitude 45.871, longitude 3.0377
Plan your visit to Volvic, Auvergne
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Marsat: town of art and history (3km)
- Mozac: town of art and history (4km)
- Parc du château de Blanzat: remarkable garden (5km)
- Riom: town of art and history (6km)
- Abbatial church de Saint Pierre de Mozac (Mozac): religious monument (8km)
- Cathédrale Notre Dame de l'Assomption (Clermont-ferrand): religious monument (10km)
- Clermont-Ferrand église Notre-Dame-du-Port (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (11km)
- Clermont-Ferrand: secteur sauvegarde (11km)
- Eglise de Saint Léger (Royat): religious monument (12km)
- Puy de Dome: grand site of france (12km)
The French version of this page is at Volvic (Francais)