Visit Villers-sur-Mer (Normandy, France)
The town and coastal resort of Villers-sur-Mer is one of several popular resorts found in the Calvados region of Normandy near Trouville, on the Cote Fleurie in the part of Normandy known as the Pays d'Auge.
Like many of the resorts here it has its roots in the growth in popularity of coastal resorts during the second half of the 19th century, and there are various 'belle epoque' villas here that bear witness to the period, most notably behind the beach.
There is a popular beach in Villers-sur-Mer itself which is family friendly and backed by a pleasant promenade.
The nature of the coast either side of the centre depends which way you head out of the town: the beach continues to the east, while the more dramatic cliffs of the 'Falaises des Vaches Noires', very popular with fossil hunters, are to the west.
Head away from the seafront to discover what else Villers-sur-Mer has to offer:
- a large dinosaur (!), essentially in topiary but several metres high - is a bit of a trademark in the town and celebrates the large number of fossils discovered in the region, especially the 'cliffs of the black cows'
- the cast iron market hall (markets Tuesdays and Fridays with markets held more frequently in summer) is in the centre of Villers-sur-Mer
- the Church of Saint Martin, rebuilt in the 19th century (be sure to go in and admire the impressive and substantial stained glass windows, also 19th century)
and a town centre offering all facilities and a tourist office (behind the dinosaur!)
There are several other popular coastal resorts close to Villers-sur-Mer including Deauville and Trouville (our personal favourites) just a little way to the east and Houlgate and Cabourg towards the west.
If you want to explore away from the coast we especially recommend Beuvron, a very picturesque village to the south of Villers-sur-Mer and a good starting point for the Normandy Cider route that pases through a great deal of attractive villages and countryside in the Pays d'Auge region.
Photos taken within 10 km
Address: Villers-sur-Mer, Trouville-sur-Mer, Lisieux, Calvados, Normandy, 14640 || GPS: latitude 49.321389, longitude -0.005
Map of Villers-sur-Mer & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Villers-sur-Mer, France
- Touques - ville fleurie 4* (8km)
- Cabourg - ville fleurie 4* (9km)
- Beuvron - most beautiful village (15km)
- Le Havre - town of art and history (20km)
- Honfleur - recommended detour (20km)
- Boutemont - remarkable garden (23km)
- Parc zoologique de Lisieux - zoo or wildlife park (28km)
- Abbaye de Caen (Caen) - religious monument (30km)
- Jardins du château de Vendeuvre - remarkable garden (38km)
- Pont-Audemer - recommended detour (38km)
Market days in Villers-sur-Mer: Regular market(s) are held in Villers-sur-Mer each Tuesday & Friday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Villers-sur-Mer (Francais)