Visit Villebois-Lavalette (Poitou-Charentes, France)
The quiet streets of the village are lined with typical Charentais houses, and there is much to enjoy simply by strolling around the village admiring the shopfronts and small architectural details, as well as the highlights below.
The village is best known for the imposing Chateau de Villebois that stands on a raised promontory above the village. The extensive defensive walls and six incorporated towers, in the attractive white stone of the region, were built in the 12th-13th century* and wind around the hilltop, giving access to the inner castle through a gateway between two substantial round towers.
* Earlier structures in the same location include settlements by both the Gauls and the romans, and an earlier castle
Inside the walls of the Chateau de Villebois a the lodge was constructed in the 17th century to provide more comfortable accommodation, although a significant portion was later destroyed by a fre in the 19th century.
You can also see a 12th century chapel incorporated into the castle walls, accessible from both the inside of the castle and from outside, with the lower part for the use of pilgrims passing through Villebois-Lafayette and the upper floor for use by the lords of the castle.
Other notable highlights in Villebois-Lavalette include the traditional 17th century market hall in the town centre, supported by a combination of carved round stone columns and traditional carpentry, and the substantial 13th century Church of Saint-Romain that also stands tall above the town centre.
There is also a small 19th century fountain next to a well (in front of the market hall) and a 17th century sundial.
The weekly market in Villebois-Lavalette takes place on a Saturday morning.
The surrounding region is a quiet area of country lanes, small villages and sunflower fields. Many of the villages between Villebois-Lavalette and Angouleme have small roman style churches of interest such as those at Voulgezac and Roullet-Saint-Estephe.
Photos taken within 10 km
Address: Villebois-Lavalette, Angoulême, Charente, Poitou-Charentes, 16320 || GPS: latitude 45.4836, longitude 0.2806
Map of Villebois-Lavalette & places nearby
Highlights close by
See lots more places to visit nearby and a more detailed map at places near Villebois-Lavalette.
See Poitou-Charentes and Charente (the region and department for Villebois-Lavalette) for more travel ideas...
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Villebois-Lavalette, France
- Eglise de Notre Dame (Voulgezac) - religious monument (13km)
- Logis de Forge - remarkable garden (15km)
- Eglise de Saint Vincent (Puymoyen) - religious monument (16km)
- Eglise de Saint Jean-Baptiste (La Couronne) - religious monument (20km)
- Cathédrale Saint Pierre (Angouleme) - religious monument (21km)
- Eglise de Saint Estèphe (Roullet-Saint-Estephe) - religious monument (21km)
- Eglise de Saint Cybard (Roullet-Saint-Estephe) - religious monument (21km)
- Eglise de Saint Michel (Saint-Michel) - religious monument (22km)
- Angouleme - town of art and history (23km)
- Eglise de Notre Dame (Trois-Palis) - religious monument (25km)
The French version of this page is at Villebois-Lavalette (Francais)