Visit Vieillevie (Auvergne, France)
Vieillevie is a village about 30 kilometres east of Figeac in the Cantal department of France. Vieillevie is on the border between the departments of Cantal and Aveyron (hence also the border between the regions of Auvergne and Midi-Pyrenees).
Vieillevie is a lovely (if very small) medieval village which sits on the edge of the river Lot, with a small cluster of traditional houses spread along the riverside.
Dominating the village is the Chateau Fort of Vieillevie which was built during the 11-13th centuries and altered in the Renaissance (15-16th centuries). A tour of the imposing turreted castle reveals its underground defences, its dungeon, defensive positions throughout the castle as well as its medieval kitchens and large Renaissance rooms.
You can also wander over the bridge on the river to get some lovely views of Vieillevie and the river Lot.
On the edge of the village the Ferme de LaVidalie offers wine and cheese tasting. The cheese is a delicious goats cheese which has won many awards.
There is a large canoe base nearby and it is a lovely peaceful stretch of river for canoeing.
Note: We stayed in the hotel La Terrasse in Vieillevie. The rooms are reasonably priced and the restaurant is excellent.
There is a great deal to enjoy in the region (one of our favourite parts of France), both in terms of scenery and picturesque villages.
The nearby village of Conques is just a few kilometres from Vieillevie and unmissable if you are in the area - it is a listed 'most beautiful village in France' and has an impressive abbey church. Another very lovely village is a little further south at Belcastel - again, well worth the excursion.
Photos of Vieillevie
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Vieillevie, Montsalvy, Aurillac, Cantal, Auvergne, 15120 || GPS: latitude 44.646111, longitude 2.418333
Map of Vieillevie & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Vieillevie, France
- Conques abbatiale Sainte-Foy (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (5km)
- Conques - most beautiful village (5km)
- Conques pont sur le Dourdou (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (6km)
- Estaing - most beautiful village (23km)
- Estaing pont sur le Lot (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (23km)
- Jardin d'Eden du château du Colombier - remarkable garden (24km)
- Belcastel - most beautiful village (29km)
- Figeac - recommended detour (30km)
- Espalion Pont Vieux (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (31km)
- Figeac Hopital St Jacques (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (31km)
The French version of this page is at Vieillevie (Francais)