Visit Vertheuil (Aquitaine, France)
Vertheuil is a village on the eastern side of the Medoc peninsula of south-west France, where it is a few kilometres north-west of Pauillac.
The village itself is picturesque, although very small, and would perhaps not feature on a list of Medoc highlights if it wasn't also home to one of the Medoc's finest architectural highlights: the Vertheuil Abbey, and the ruins of a medieval castle.
In the centre of the village, the Augustinian abbey dates from the 12th century although it was substantially reconstructed in the 18th century. It comprises three parts:
- the abbey church itself, in the Roman style, features two belltowers and a decorative entrance leading to the inside, with several interesting decorative highlights (the monumental 15th century font among them);
- the associated living quarters for the abbey monks, have an attractive 18th century facade, and contain remnants of the original abbey arcades;
- a peaceful garden / parkland area laid out in the 19th century just behind the living quarters
Also in Vertheuil
Just across the road from the abbey is a small lane leading towards an 11th century castle - you can see the original castle entrance gate (14th century) and there is a trail around the castle grounds with further views but the castle itself is private property and not open to the public. There is also a small Ecomuseum in an 18th century house in the village centre, with items explaining the traditions and lives of the local population (open July and August, afternoons only, closed mondays).
The village also propose a 16km walking trail in the region around Vertheuil called 'la Ronde Vertheuillaise' and passing several small local highlights and through the countryside of the region - see the tourist information just inside the abbey church for details, or follow the green trail markers.
Close to Vertheuil
A few kilometrs east of Vertheuil on the Gironde estuary is the small village of Saint-Estephe, especially interesting for the highly decorated interior of the 18th century church, much in the Baroque style.
Also nearbt, a couple of kilometres north of Saint-Estephe, visit Saint-Seurin-de-Cadourne where Chateau Bardis has a very impressive circular pigeonhouse (colombier). dating from the 14th century, and
Photos of Vertheuil
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Vertheuil, Pauillac, Lesparre-Médoc, Gironde, Aquitaine, 33180 || GPS: latitude 45.251111, longitude -0.833056
Map of Vertheuil & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Vertheuil, France
- Parc du château Lanessan - remarkable garden (17km)
- Fort Médoc (Vauban fortifications) - heritage site (19km)
- Blaye citadelle (Vauban fortifications) - heritage site (19km)
- Cussac Fort Paté (Vauban fortifications) - heritage site (19km)
- Parcs et jardins du château de Beaulon - remarkable garden (23km)
- Talmont - most beautiful village (32km)
- Cave Pair-non-Pair - national monument (35km)
- Soulac-su-Mer basilique Notre-Dame-de-la-fin-des-Terres (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (37km)
- Jonzac - recommended detour (38km)
- Pons ancien hopital des pèlerins (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (42km)
The French version of this page is at Vertheuil (Francais)