Visit Tremolat (Aquitaine, France)
The little village of Tremolat is on the Dordogne river, on a large sweeping bend of the River towards the west of the principal sights of the region, and east of Bergerac.
Like so many Dordogne villages, it is the overall appearance of the village that is its charm with the yellow stone buildings, a few small features to enjoy such as the frescoes in the church and an old bread oven, and a cafe where you can sit and enjoy the peace.
Just outside the village itself there are viewpoints where you can admire the scenery - above all the views from the Belvedere de Tremolat are magnificent. The view stretches about 180 degrees across an enormous bend in the Dordogne River, with hills to the outside of the river and flat, agricultural land inside the loop.
To reach the Cingle de Trémolat follow the signposted route about 2km west of the main village. The picture below, like all pictures of the view from the Cingle de Tremolat, fails to do justice to the view, because a camera can't capture the scale.
In the other direction from Tremolat is the Cingle de Limeuil, another raised belvedere area above the a large meander in the Dordogne river (in my opinion the views are a bit less impressive here, but still recommended).
There is also a 'plan d'eau' (a place where you can take a dip in the water to cool down) at Tremolat.
Note for cyclists: there are many cycle routes in the region, but the one that follows along the river and includes the Cingle de Tremolat and the Cingle de Limeuil is one of my favourites, and on quiet roads for most of the year. Bit hilly though!
Photos of Tremolat
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Trémolat, Sainte-Alvère, Bergerac, Dordogne, Aquitaine, 24510 || GPS: latitude 44.876, longitude 0.8313
Map of Tremolat & places nearby
Highlights close by
Le Bugue 9km
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Tremolat, France
- Eglise de Saint-Hilaire et Eglise de Saint-Nicholas (Tremolat) - religious monument
- Abbaye de Saint Martial (Paunat) - religious monument (4km)
- Limeuil - most beautiful village (5km)
- Jardin de Planbuisson - remarkable garden (7km)
- Le-Buisson-de-Cadouin eglise abbatiale (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (8km)
- Eglise de saint-Pierre (Audrix) - religious monument (9km)
- Saint-Avit Eglise (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (11km)
- Jardins de la Bourlie - remarkable garden (12km)
- Eglise Sainte-Croix (Beaumont-du-Perigord) - religious monument (15km)
- Grotte du Grand Roc - site of natural beauty (16km)
The French version of this page is at Tremolat (Francais)