Visit Tourrettes (Provence, France)
Note: Tourettes is not to be confused with Tourrettes-sur-Loup, the perched village in the Alpes-Maritimes department of Provence.
The old heart of Tourrettes is quite small, and it is a pleasure to explore - although a visit doesn't take very long. You can park in the square at the bottom of the village.
Explore the narrow streets of the village that lead out of the square and slowly wind your way up through Tourrettes and past the 11th century Church of Saint André to reach the clocktower that stands at the top - the clocktower was built in the 14th century, as was the small chapel of Penitents.
On the way you pass lots of quaint houses, and small open squares. There is a village lavoir to the north of the village and the castle on the hill to the west is the Chateau de Puy (not open to the public, this is now a retirement home).
From the top of Tourrettes there are also extensive views and a table d'orientation to help you get your bearings.
Before leaving be sure to find time to visit a cafe and sit enjoying the ambience of this traditional Provencal village.
In the vicinity
The region that includes Tourrettes is known as the Pays de Fayence, and contains several pretty villages worth visiting in close proximity, including Fayence itself and Callian, Seillans and Montauroux among others. Seillans is a listed 'most beautiful village in France'. Together they make a very plesant trip as an excursion from the busy French Riviera just 20 kilometres to the south.
Photos of Tourrettes
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Tourrettes, Fayence, Draguignan, Var, Provence, 83440 || GPS: latitude 43.624167, longitude 6.703056
Map of Tourrettes & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Tourrettes, France
- Seillans - most beautiful village (5km)
- Grottes de Saint-Cezaire - site of natural beauty (9km)
- Parc zoologique de Fréjus - zoo or wildlife park (17km)
- Jardin de la Villa Fort de France - remarkable garden (18km)
- Grasse - secteur sauvegarde (18km)
- Cathédrale Saint Léonce (Frejus) - religious monument (21km)
- Frejus Cathedral cloisters - national monument (22km)
- Frejus - town of art and history (22km)
- Parc du château de la Napoule - remarkable garden (22km)
- Eglise de St Raphaël (Saint-Raphael) - religious monument (23km)
The French version of this page is at Tourrettes (Francais)