Visit Thouars (Poitou-Charentes, France)
The town of Thouars is to the north of the Poitou-Charentes region, and south-east from Saumur, in the Deux-Sèvres department.
From its dominant position on a hill, the attractive medieval town hides behind a substantial 17th century chateau, poised on the edge of a cliff and overlooking the river below.
Castle of the Dukes of Trémoille
Much the most visible monument in Thouars, this 17th century chateau was constructed on the site of an earlier defensive castle. After playing a role as a castle then a prison, the main building is now home to a college in the town. The associated stables hold an art school.
In addition to the main castle and stables you can also see a chapel, the castle orangery and an interior courtyard.
Other Thouars monuments
The medieval town has some attractive medieval colombage houses dating from the 16th century, and several other noteworthy buildings. Start your exploration of the medieval centre of Thouars in Place Saint-Médard and surrounding streets, then head perhaps for the area around the attractive Hotel Tyndo.
One particularly notable religious monument is the Chapel Joan of Arc, an attractive chapel with an oversized 'rose' window above the entrance that is now used for art exhibitions. pay particular attenion to the carving above the entrance.
Other highlights to discover include:
- the 12th century ramparts, including two towers (the Tour de Prince de Galles and the Tour Porte au Provost)
- the medieval bridge across the river (pont des chouans) leading to the porte Maillot entrance through the ramparts
- some impressive grand houses of the 15th century (including Hotel Tyndo and the Hotel des Trois Rois)
- the Saint-Médard church (note particularly the western facade), and the church of Saint-Laon, dominated by its sturdy belltower
- the Town Hall
Other attractions in Thouars
- the 'regional centre for resistance and liberty' is dedicated to telling the story of the resistance movement in the region during the Second World War (situated in the castle stables).
- the wrought iron bridge across the river, built in 1950 to replace an earlier bridge destroyed in the war (built to exactly the same design as the original)
Photos of Thouars
Click any picture to start the gallery
Tourist classifications for Thouars
Thouars has received the following tourist classifications: listed town of Art and History ; village in bloom (ville fleurie) 4*
Address: Thouars, Bressuire, Deux-Sevres, Poitou-Charentes, 79100 || GPS: latitude 46.975, longitude -0.214
Map of Thouars & places nearby
Highlights close by
Moncontour, Vienne 18km
Fontevraud Abbey 31km
Chateau de Saumur 33km
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Thouars, France
- Oiron Chateau - national monument (11km)
- Eglise de Saint Généroux (Saint-Generoux) - religious monument (12km)
- Eglise Abbatial de Saint Jouin (Saint-Jouin-de-Marnes) - religious monument (16km)
- Eglise abbatiale de Saint Pierre (Airvault) - religious monument (17km)
- Montreuil-Bellay - recommended detour (18km)
- Aquarium de Loudun - aquarium (23km)
- Loudun - recommended detour (23km)
- Parc zoologique de Doué-la-Fontaine - zoo or wildlife park (25km)
- Abbaye Notre Dame de Fontevraud (Fontevraud Abbey) - religious monument (30km)
- Fontevraud Abbey - national monument (31km)
Market days in Thouars: Regular market(s) are held in Thouars each Tuesday & Friday all day. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Thouars (Francais)