Theoule-sur-Mer, Provence: tourism & sightseeing
Visit Theoule-sur-Mer (Provence, France)Photo Gallery
At 40 kilometres from Nice and just 10 kilometres from Cannes, the town of Theoule-sur-Mer is centrally situated on the French Riviera in a lovely setting below the Esterel massif and fronted by the sea.
Theoule is only a small town, and has an attractive harbour / port along with easy access to beaches and also to the dramatic rocky coastline that characterises the region.
Really there are several ports in Theoule-sur-Mer, each with it's own characteristics: the Port of Théoule, the Port de la Rague, Port la Galère, and the port de la Figueirette.
There is little in the way of major monuments...but don't worry too much - just stroll around, enjoy a drink in a cafe, look at the gardens, and generally relax. There is also a harbour for pleasure boats and a selection of cafes and restaurants - visit the courtyard (train station entrance) opposite the castle entrance for a few options.
Alternatively if relaxing isn't your thing there are ample opportunities to set off hiking into the hills and forests behind the town or exploring the region by bike. Of course after these exertions you will need to find time to enjoy one of the beaches in Theoule-sur-Mer.
There is a choice of sandy beaches available and these are the principal local attraction. The principal beaches along the Theoule headland are:
- The Plage Vallon de l'Autel and the Plage du Château are the two main beaches in the town centre, easily accessible although parking can be difficult, and very busy in summer
- The Plage Petite Fontaine, a small sandy beach about 5 minute walk east along the promende from the centre of Theoule
- The Plage de l'Aiguille, a popular sandy beach about 10 minute walk along the promende east from the centre of Theoule. From here you can also walk along the coast to reach the more isolated beaches of the Crique Aiguille
- The Plage de Suveret, to the west of the Port of Theoule and a nice sandy beach that is slightly less crowded than the beaches in the centre
There is a coast path that runs from Theoule-sur-Mer towards Mandalieu-la-Napoule that passes the castle, a couple of very small coves, and crosses some rocky sections with views across the sea to Cannes.
The most well known part of coastline near Theoule-sur-Mer is followed by the so-called Corniche d'Or, a road that follows along the red coastline below the Esterel massif and is famous for being one of the most attractive stretches of road in France, passing beautiful landscapes with the deep blu sea to one side and the red cliffs to the other.
Map of Theoule-sur-Mer and places to visit
Visit near Theoule-sur-Mer with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Alpes-Maritimes
Address: Théoule-sur-Mer, Mandelieu-Cannes-Ouest, Grasse, Alpes-Maritimes, Provence, 06590, France || GPS: latitude 43.507778, longitude 6.940833
Plan your visit to Theoule-sur-Mer, Provence
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Parc du château de la Napoule: remarkable garden
- Abbaye de Lerins (Cannes): religious monument (7km)
- Cannes: ville fleurie 4* (8km)
- Eglise de St Raphaël (Saint-Raphael): religious monument (17km)
- Parc zoologique de Fréjus: zoo or wildlife park (17km)
- Jardin botanique de la villa Thuret: remarkable garden (17km)
- Grasse: secteur sauvegarde (17km)
- Jardin de la Villa Fort de France: remarkable garden (18km)
- Frejus: town of art and history (18km)
- Frejus Cathedral cloisters: national monument (18km)
- Cathédrale Saint Léonce (Frejus): religious monument (18km)
- Marineland d'Antibes: aquarium (19km)
The French version of this page is at Theoule-sur-Mer (Francais)