Theize, Rhone-Alpes: tourism & sightseeing
Visit Theize (Rhone-Alpes, France)Photo Gallery
Theizé is a quiet village which is perched on the side of Mont Bansillon and overlooks some of the many vineyards in this important wine-making area.
Theize has been populated for centuries. Neolithic people left flints as evidence of their presence. Some of the paving stones in the village date to Roman times and Theizé's castle and chapel date to medieval times.
The large stone cross on the village square dates back to 1567 but the little niches underneath the cross were not filled in until 1996. The figures in the niches are: the virgin Mary, Saint Claude, Saint Roch and the village saint - Saint Antoin. This cross is the Stone Mason's Guild cross. Also in the village centre is the Gothic church of Theizé.
At the top of the village see the old church and the Chateau de Rochebonne. The Chateau de Rochebonne was destroyed during the Hundred Years War in order to stop it falling into English hands. It was rebuilt in the 15th century . The ancient church which was once the chapel of Rochebonne contains 17th century frescoes
Theize is in the area known as the Beaujolais Region of Golden Stone as the buildings are made from lovely golden stone from a nearby quarry. The countryside arround consists of rolling hills many of which covered by grapevines and dotted by peaceful villages made of the lovely local stone.
A good time to visit is Sunday moring when the village is animated by its weekly market.
Close to the village
Not far from Theizé is a 16th century Chapel the Chapelle of St Hippolyte. There are also various 'cadoles' - small dry stone shelters, and you can also visit Chateau de Rapetour, an 18th century castle with an interior courtyard and Renaissance galleries.
Theizé is in the Beaujolais wine region making a spot of wine tasting high on the priority list.
Photos of Theize
Click a photo to start the gallery
Map of Theize and places to visit
Visit near Theize with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Rhone
Address: Theizé, Bois-d'Oingt, Villefranche-sur-Saône, Rhone, Rhone-Alpes, 69620, France || GPS: latitude 45.940556, longitude 4.617222
Plan your visit to Theize, Rhone-Alpes
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Oingt: most beautiful village (3km)
- Jardins du Château de Saint-Bernard: remarkable garden (6km)
- Trevoux: recommended detour (12km)
- Parc du château de Laye: remarkable garden (16km)
- Parc animalier de Courzieu: zoo or wildlife park (21km)
- Ecully: ville fleurie 4* (22km)
- Parc de la Tête d'Or: remarkable garden (26km)
- Lyon: secteur sauvegarde (26km)
- Jardin zoologique de la ville de Lyon: zoo or wildlife park (26km)
- Laboratoire d’écologie des hydrosystèmes naturels et anthropisés: site of natural beauty (26km)
- Abbaye Saint Martin d'Ainey (Lyon): religious monument (26km)
- Historic Lyon: heritage site (27km)
The French version of this page is at Theize (Francais)