Visit Soultz-Haut-Rhin (Alsace, France)
Soultz-Haut-Rhin is in the Haut-Rhin department of the Alsace region, a pleasant little town about 20km south of Colmar in the rolling vineyards and wooded hills at the edge of the Vosges region.
Dating from the 7th century, it has a different feel to many of the Alsace towns as not many of its houses are half-timbered: rather, the rich wine growers that developed the town prefered to build in stone.
The old town in Soultz-Haut-Rhin contains a good number of houses dating from the 16th to 18th centuries. Start your visit in the main square in the town, the Place de la Republique, which contains the Town Hall and a 16th century building where the tourist office is located with a two-storey oriel window.
Particular highlights in the town include:
- the Church of Saint-Maurice with its lovely sundial and belltower was built in the 13th-15th centuries and containing some notable frescoes and an organ by the renowned organ designer Silbermann
- Bucheneck castle, an attractive, well proportioned castle (more of a manor house than a castle) in gardens on the River Rimbach that now contains a small museum
- the attractive little Place Sainte-Claire.
- the Commanderie de Saint-Jean
- the half timbered houses in Rue des Sœurs
For reasons of tourism the local area is marketed as Guebwiller-Soultz and includes a wide range of outdoor activities, small architectural highlights, and scenic beauty. A couple of the most interesting buildings are the Collegiale at Lautenbach and the castle at Buhl.
The local Tourist office at Soultz-Haut-Rhin can provide details of numerous walks and cycle routes, nearby villages on the Route des Vins and ideas for exploring the Florival Valley and Vosges mountains.
Photos of Soultz-Haut-Rhin
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Soultz-Haut-Rhin, Guebwiller, Haut-Rhin, Alsace, 68360 || GPS: latitude 47.8867, longitude 7.22972
Map of Soultz-Haut-Rhin & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Soultz-Haut-Rhin, France
- Parc de la Marseillaise - remarkable garden (2km)
- Guebwiller - town of art and history (3km)
- Soultzmatt - ville fleurie 4* (8km)
- Thann - recommended detour (13km)
- Sausheim - ville fleurie 4* (15km)
- Parc de Wesserling - remarkable garden (17km)
- Mulhouse - town of art and history (17km)
- Eguisheim - most beautiful village (18km)
- Parc zoologique et botanique de Mulhouse - zoo or wildlife park (19km)
- Parc botanique de Mulhouse - remarkable garden (19km)
Market days in Soultz-Haut-Rhin: Regular market(s) are held in Soultz-Haut-Rhin each Wednesday & Wednesday &. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Soultz-Haut-Rhin (Francais)